The New Analytics Debate

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kidbourbon, Feb 26, 2015.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I thought you hated baseball?

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Analytics will tell you Creed is awesome

3. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Yes, but I am aware of its existence.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Interesting example. I think I would have gone with Chris Brown or Jay Leno.

5. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

What does a Gold Glove purport to actually measure? It's about as important to me as MVP awards, which is to say not at all. Players and managers have the same personal biases writers do.

6. hatvol96

And Larry Sanders. And Epke Udoh.

7. hatvol96

Compare the number of passing plays in football now to 30 years ago. I guess analytics are the key there, too. Rick Pitino was preaching 3s over long twos in '86-'87. It's not as if the analytics guys suddenly mined something nobody ever saw before.

8. hatvol96

Come on. Look how great the famous Moneyball draft class went on to become. Hell, Cooperstown will probably have to create a new wing for all of those guys.

9. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Craig Biggio consistently beat out Bret Boone for a gold glove because Biggio was a better hitter.

Man, I hated those Houston teams.

10. hatvol96

So, organizations are now defined by standardless rankings put together by an entity that employs guys like Rick Reilly and Bill Simmons. Yep, I'll let ESPN do my thinking for me. Hell, the article that blog references uses the Spurs use of video technology as evidence of their "analytic" bent. They way they define it, I'm not sure what wouldn't be analytics under that kind of standard.

11. hatvol96

Exactly. On both statements

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Is there a more self-aggrandizing set of people than sportswriters?

13. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

they cover it like they're covering World War 2, that's for sure

14. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

But isn't that part of the benefit of sabermetrics. To stop giving awards to people who don't deseve them. To recognize greatness instead of reputation. If decision makers like managers have personal biases then there is a problem and it can influence the way money is spent, lineups are constructed etc. I mean 30 years ago there was this idea that the first two batters in the lineup needed to be good at making contact. Now it's known that on base percentage is far more important. People used think that if you stole more than 50% of your bases you should keep running more and more. Thanks to sabermetrics we know that offense is maximized when that number is closer to 75%. Third base used to be considred a very important defensive position but sabermetrics have shown that it's actually about the least important on the field so you can have Chipper Jones over there (instead of in the OF) and it really won't hurt you much.

These were baseball people who thought these wrong things.

15. hatvol96

Who ever thought getting caught stealing half the time was acceptable?

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't get the Chipper thing. Age old baseball is about defensive strength in the middle. Playing a Chipper out of position is bad and exacerbated the closer he gets to the middle of the field.

17. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

The key to 3B isn't a glove, or even range, it's all about making the throw corner to corner.

18. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

At the high school level maybe.

19. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Hard to make that throw if you don't have a glove.

20. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I played third base in high school until I got hit in the nuts. I moved to outfield, then quit the next year.