"The Obama Doctrine"

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Mar 10, 2016.

Tags:
  1. IP

IP Super Moderator

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2016/04/the-obama-doctrine/471525/

Pretty interesting window into Obama's thought process.

(If you comment without reading, I hope you get a pimple on your scrotum/vulva)

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

"let's all stop pretending that the cause of the middle east's problems is Israel..."

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

let's stop pretending that it isn't a humongous factor

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't think you appreciate what he means by that. He's saying there are some backwards-thinking cultural systems there.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well in the context of the US, i'd say Israel is the primary reason we are hated by the middle east.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not a big pro-Israel guy. I think they have the right to exist, but I also think they are practicing apartheid and should stop it.

That being said, even without Israel we would be clashing with the ME. Look at Iran. We toppled a democracy to put in the Shah because of an oil deal the fell through. That rightly pissed some folks off and we're still feeling it.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

There's plenty of Obama fellating horsecrap in that article and the author probably needs Uni's new Obama flavored fleshlight, but Obama is right about the fortress America approach to foreign policy IMO. He's a financial moron and the worst of vote gatherers, but hasn't been a complete clown about foreign policy. I'd hate to see him in the instance when force is necessary, but it simply hasn't been and he has been correct. Drawing the red line was stupid, but he did make the right call. The author's silliness about his prescience made me want to hurl.