The Official 2012 NHL Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by BearCat204, Apr 10, 2012.

1. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Pecker has been human in this series and that has been the difference

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The difference is that the Preds stopped playing defense. Controlled possession that one game against Detroit and seem like they're trying to replicate it. It's not working. Play tight defense and the series will come back to Phoenix tied.

3. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Hell, I have been too pissed to talk about it. The Predators will either win the next two at home or get swept. I don't see it going any other way.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  4. Tar Volon

Welp, Poile is not Dooley, that's for sure

5. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The Blues aren't playing as well and they've run into a buzz saw in the Kings. Not a good combination.

6. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Replace Blues with Predators and Kings with Coyotes. I bet 3 people watch the Wetern Confrence finals.

7. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

The preds played just as bad defensively in the Detroit series. Only difference in this series is that Pecker hasn't been playing like a goalie god and bailing their asses out

8. Tar Volon

Preds have outchanced Phoenix in three of the four games. They don't need bailing out by a goalie, they need some friggin shots to go in. And for the intent to blow rule to die a fiery death. Three Nashville goals overturned in the last six games by that rule.

9. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

The intent to blow rule is a bad one, but yes, Nashville only goes a far as Pekka takes them

10. Tar Volon

Pekka is certainly one of the best players on the team, but Nashville has outchanced their opponents in four of their last five games. That doesn't fit the narrative of weak team being carried by a great goalie.

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

That sound you hear is everybody jumping off the bandwagon.

12. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Philly up against the wall and not having Giroux in game 5 is going to make it that much harder to advance. Someone is going to have to step up in a major way.

13. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

True, especially when Suter signs with the Wings or some other team. This was their best chance to play for the Cup and they blew it.

14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Preds bandwagon is no worse than either of the two teams in the WCF. Hell, at least the Preds could fill up their arena all year, unlike Phoenix and LA, who had about 7 fans between them in March

15. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

It really wasn't. Preds can stand the loss of Suter as long as Weber stays. They will also finally spend to the cap next year.

16. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I don't care about fans that actually go to games. That's what fans do.

I don't know how you don't figure a drop off next year. Right now the only thing they have going for them is Weber being an RFA.

17. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Radulov is an RFA, though the outcome is anyone's guess. He put up a decent number of points all told and a full season would hopefully kick him up a gear or two. A lot of the likely departures weren't on the team until trade deadline day or thereabouts anyways (of course, it was the post-deadline team that were viewed as Cup contenders). It also helps that Colin Wilson and Craig Smith are still going to be around barring a trade.

Two keys for me are 1) resigning/effectively replacing Suter (neither are exactly likely, IMO) and 2) acquiring a 1st line center to bump Fisher and Legwand down to more effective roles. I think they're close to last year's point total if both happen. I'd guess they end up downgrading from Suter and finish in the 6-8 range. If they have a legitimately bad offseason, all bets are off and the window is shut for a while.

18. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

19. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I figure a drop off damn near every year, and they somehow manage to play as well or better. Heck, going into this year I thought they were an 8 seed. When the season started I thought they would miss entirely.

20. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Never thought I would have seen that from the Kings.