The Pass Rush

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Sep 28, 2015.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Or lack there of. It's been very disappointing. The problem isn't just in game decisions.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Watch the ends. They're dropping off into zone coverage a lot. I swear, I think they're supposed to rush, then turn and cover the flats.

Teams also are doubling and chipping on Barnett.

Throw in the fact McKenzie and Tuttle only play about 20 snaps a game, there's a problem.

On one blitz, McKenzie took up 2 blockers, Barnett took on a tackle and a back, Tuttle beat his man and I believe it was JRM that came free

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Also, the pass rush isn't where it needs to be. Mayfield broke approximately 47 tackles. Grier wasn't that bad.

4. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

"4th and Jancek" has become the truth.

4th down, 4th quarter doesn't seem to matter.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Refs were letting a lot go in the box during the Florida game as well.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

That's true. Latroy Lewis got held bad a couple of times.

7. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'm not sure Barnett is 100%. He got dinged in the first half against Bowling Green.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Dropping ends to cover is killing us.

9. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Go back and count the number of twist stunts our D tackles and ends do! We were going against freshmen OT's and were not doing anything but bull rushing. I'm beyond livid.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's really poor coaching. Tuttle and Phillips can move extremely well for guys their size. Barnett is a future Pro Bowler. What do they do?

Stab and grab, stay in your lanes and contain. The dline look like a punt return unit

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

*throw rush

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

What really pisses me off is seeing Tuttle and McKenzie on the sidelines on 3rd and 4th and short. There's damn near 700 lbs of DT right there.

13. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

It ticks me off too. Every time those two are in there the eat up double teams and drive OLmen into the backfield. Guy I work with is a Georgia fan and coaches and cannot believe that McKenzie and Tuttle are not used that much.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And that's why Jancek is every bit as bad as Botch.

I'm glad national television highlighted us dropping an end on 4th and 14. I assume everyone else now knows he's inept at best.

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Mobile like.

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Talked about this with a guy Sunday who was a d-lineman and was decently successful at the game of football.

His thoughts -

1. D-tackles are disappointing so far with pash rush.

2. On the 4th and 14, "They've never learned, and this goes back to Chavis, that you don't rush 3. Always rush 4 or 5. Always. Ray Charles could have completed that."

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Can't understand why they put a spy on that QB like he's Michael Vick and it was 4th & 2 instead of 4th & 14 either.

Seems like a lot of DCs go full idiot in these kinds of scenarios though, one way or another

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That is true. It doesn't excuse the idiotic playcalling, but Jancek is far from the only one

19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I just saw it posted that Tennessee has attempted 9 passes in the 4th quarter this season