The "quality " of our SEC wins.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by A-Smith, Dec 3, 2015.

1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

They lost one of the best players in the country and the centerpiece of their offense on the first drive. I think you credit too much.

It would be a lot like beating LSU without Fournette.

2. cotton

South Carolina's last two hires have both been wearing national championship rings.

They certainly aren't afraid to aim big.

3. knoxvol

knoxvol Contributor

I'd call those two hires .500 at best.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Lou holtz was a good hire by them at the time and helped lay the foundation for the ole ball coach to come in and take it to the next level

5. cotton

I would not.

Beside the point, though. South Carolina may not make the 2nd or 3rd tier hire people are expecting.

6. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm not that connected to their program, but I recall Steve cleaning house of a ton of miscreants. I have heard he had a lot of work to do with getting their facilities upgraded, as well.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Always turn over after a coaching change but holtz's run in 2000 and 2001 gave them the success needed to build on. Holtz also helped with getting Steve there.

Basically the whole history of gamecock football is Holtz and Steve

8. knoxvol

knoxvol Contributor

Holtz was 33-37 (19-29 SEC), averaging 5.5 and 3.2 wins. Not much of a foundation.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

2000 and 2001 was the high water mark for their program till Steve took it to the next level.

I'm not saying he walked on water but South Carolina hired a hall of fame coach after winning one game the year before he got there and then hired another hall of fame coach after that.

We hired Kiffin, Dooley, and Butch.

10. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yeah, but what program at one time or another and at different lengths haven't had their share?

I certainly see the player to as Holtz and Spurrier had two different styles

I Tanner's hire had much to do w/ the facilities upgrade

11. cotton

They were one of the historically worst program in college football history before Lou. They won exactly one bowl game before his arrival in roughly 125 years of football.

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

How did they even get into the SEC?

13. cotton

Florida put the kibosh on FSU.

14. MettaWorldPeace

MettaWorldPeace Contributor

To the best of my knowledge, the teams Tennessee beat from Halloween on had a combined two wins in the month of November against D1 teams. One of those was by process of elimination as Vandy beat Kentucky. The only other win was Missouri defeating BYU.