The silver lining of Hurricane Isaac

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Aug 28, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

While it isn't good that the Gulf Coast is getting smacked again, the storm track shows that the remnants of the hurricane are going to move up the Mississippi Valley and over Missouri and Illinois, all the way to Indiana.

That part of the country has been devastated by a rare severe drought this year. It is probably way too late for cultivators, but it will provide relief for livestock owners and small municipalities.

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Also helps the Mississippi River basin; the river has been too shallow in places to allow shipping

3. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

At one stretch this August we had some trace of rain something like 15 days straight. Weird summer.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

It's a Cat I what's all the hysteria about?

5. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I hear Florida avoided two disasters this week. First, the hurricane and second, Joe Biden.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

I bet that is about to change. The damn storm track is practically mirroring the channel!

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because Katrina didn't actually hit New Orleans, the weakest edge of the storm (upper left quadrant relative to the storm's path is always the weakest) just barely nicked it and the flooding/storm surge is what ruptured the levees. Isaac will hit them head on, and hilariously enough the levees are pretty much of the same strength as prior to Katrina. We never really addressed the underlying problems. It should be okay since it is a Cat I, but it still has the potential to get stupid.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Still scratching my head that there isn't a mandatory evacuation of NO. I mean, I don't know the infrastructure enough to make any type of educated comment, but it seems after last time it would happen just because.

My bro in law lives in Baton Rouge, and he and his wife and her family are staying put.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Its one of those, "It can't be worst than __________." Then it is.

Given the topography of that area there is only so much that can be done to stay there and be safe.

10. CardinalVol

Seems this thing is so slow moving, even though the winds aren't going to be bad as bad, if it's just going to stall and rain, then isn't that worse for a city sitting below sea level?

11. CardinalVol

Seems this thing is so slow moving, even though the winds aren't going to be bad as bad, if it's just going to stall and rain, then isn't that worse for a city sitting below sea level?

12. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

I can't believe George Bush would do this again.

13. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I thought the barge illegally anchored is what ruptured the levee, and the surge, filling the bowl that is NO, took care of the rest because of the pressure on the inside pushing out?

14. fl0at_

Cat 1 and Cat 2 can be ridden out. Katrina became Cat 3 at landfall over MS coast. They were "alright" until that point. And that stupid barge is what really screwed over the 9th ward.

15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

So IP, cut the shit. I'm flying into Key West Friday morning and staying until Tuesday. What's my weather going to look like? **** the farms and all that.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

There can and will be other objects around, illegal or not.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

As far as I know, you should be good.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

It went DOWN to a Cat 3 as it made landfall. It WAS a Cat 5.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

It went DOWN to a Cat 3 as it made landfall. It WAS a Cat 5.

20. fl0at_

Cat 1 and 2 over Florida, which is when most decide whether to leave the coast or not. When in the Gulf, yes, correct.