The Somewhat Late YY6 Postgame Report.

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by hatvol96, Oct 9, 2011.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Why would Lane Kiffin be spending any time on defensive gameplanning?

2. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

He wouldn't directly, but it is his team, and he hired those guys, and gave one of them a million dollars, and another 700 grand, to figure it out. And that was the side of the ball that had two first round draft picks. He also got shutout in the second half of both those games, which leads more directly to him.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not really coming up with excuses, but McCluster had pretty much been wasting away at WR all year prior to our game against the Rebels. Neither the Hokies or Rebs really did anything super special. They ran it right at our mediocre defensive front.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I'm pretty sure we had multiple TD drops in each of those games. For sure Jones and Moore had one apiece against VT. I think Moore had two.

5. hatvol96

What were they supposed to figure out? That their linebackers were disgracefully bad and they were forced to play guys like Wes Brown across the defensive front? I'm pretty sure they clued in on that really quick. No amount of scheming will save you at the BCS conference level when your personnel is that limited.

6. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

And if Eric Ainge doesn't make a terrible throw Fulmer wins the SEC championship in 2007. It's too easy to play that game, I think.

I was totally 100-percent on board with the Kiffin bandwagon and his leaving us doesn't make me hate him. But waxing poetic about a guy that I am pretty sure hated it from the time Jerry from Bulls Gap showed up in September's Vol Calls is a little problematic, right?

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Right, but Fulmer recruited Ainge and that was his like 45th game as a starter under Phil. Kiffin was just playing the hand he was dealt, not the cards he chose. I don't really care to have Kiffin back or anything, but I think he did a fairly good job before the bottom absolutely fell out with the depth chart. Most of those linebackers he had playing in those two blowouts are still here. Two years later and they are sitting in favor of a converted fullback and two true freshmen.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Sure. Kiffin got some terrible cards, but at least he got Berry, Williams and Hardesty in the deal. Kiffin left Dooley some pieces -- Bray obviously, Smith and James. Jackson would be there too, but when know what went down there.

9. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

But it isn't simple enough to say the games they won they schemed superbly and the games they lost were because they were outmatched? The truth is somewhere in the middle, is it not?

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He admitted Crompton was too stupid to read a defense. Simple reads for a simple mind.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

People can say what they want and revise history, but starting at halftime against Auburn until halftime against Memphis in 2009 was the longest stretch of quality football a UT team has played since about 2004.

Only gripe I had with Kiffin gainst UCLA was he didn't bootleg Crompton on that 4th down. He would have been Manning trotting into endzone on it they were selling out for the iso so much.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Think about that for a second, though. Suppose, after Crompton sucking it up so hard that he allowed UCLA to be in a game he puts the game on Crompton's shoulders on the final play and he doesn't get it. He's the stupidest man ever.

13. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't think Kiffin cared about that one bit with his playcalls.

I don't know. Every person in the stadium knew what was coming when we lined up and sent Rogers in motion.

14. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

To the current running scheme.

Can any one else call a run play by our formation right now?

15. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Kiffin gave some energy to a lifeless program and then left. Maybe won a game or two he shouldn't have, kept us close in a few, lost one or two he shouldn't have. Some of his recruits worked out and some didn't.

I am not revising history. There was hardly any history. He's this generation's James McDonald.

16. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Come on Hat, nobody traded Cregg for Harry. Cregg was Kiffin's boy and he went with them. I'd take Cregg back in a heart beat, but it's not an option.

If this o-line don't improve, I hope we can find someone better than Harry. This line is reminding me of Adkins' lines and I don't want to go back there.

17. VOLinDAWGland

It doesn't matter, Kiffin left, he wasn't fired. I don't disagree, but chances are there'd be some NCAA bounty to pay given the milk toast AD we had defending us. These are the dog days of rebuilding + the unfortunate run of luck that took out our 4 best players. Such is the lack of margin we have to work with after Fulmer was allowed to drive the wheels off the program.

18. VOLinDAWGland

Possibly, but he'd have to hit on a lot more players (not co-eds) than his 2009 class. 2010 would have probably been a better class and we'd have one less system transition to work through. However it is all mute as Kiffin rejected us and bailed...for a better job.

19. hatvol96

The vast majority of the simpletons over at the old place felt Hamburger Harry represented an upgrade over Cregg. They were warned. As is usually the case with those left over at the idiot farm, they chose not to listen.

20. VOLinDAWGland

That's true, but given the fact that we didn't actually replace him makes it irrelevant. FTR, I'd much prefer Cregg, but it wasn't an option. I am disappointed in this line's development under Harry. I figured his resume promised more than this.