The Sunshine Pumping Josh Heupel Positives Thread

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jan 27, 2021.

1. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

BYU was a really good team this year.

2. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Yeah but that was never a 14 point game

3. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Jesus, in 16 hours I've convinced myself with some luck 7 wins are possible and that 7 wins might net us this amazing in state class for 2022 and that will get us to respectability and so on and so on. Why do I do this to myself?

On a serious note, this is a terrible hire. But a good staff *can* save a terrible hire, even if only temporarily (LSU last year, Auburn in 2009) it's happened before, and it seems like Heupel has a good network of coaches to pull from. I guess what I'm trying to say is that while the initial hire is bad, that's on the AD/admin/boosters. If the coach can make some good staff hires, then maybe we can hang on, instead of full on implosion.

TDVol1989, IP and Memtownvol like this.
  4. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

Fair enough, that's about where I'm at. I just don't think its productive to direct anger at a coach who accepted an offer. We don't know who and what DW offered before he got to Heupel and probably never will. Everything else is speculation. If Heupel is not a POS human like Botch and has HC organizatio skills that the Gump didn't have and assembles a good staff that translates to wins, good recruitment and some semblance of stability for 3+ years I'm ok. Not a home run, but progress. If that's the outcome I'll take it. If not we'll do this again with or without some or a lot of us.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

[​IMG]

6. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Me too. Or even good. The insinuations about trouble brewing at UCF and the exits of both main parties is very concerning to me.

TangoUniform likes this.
  7. IMISSTHEBOWLBROS

IMISSTHEBOWLBROS Contributor

Like they hopped on the first train smoking, which happened to be ours!! Private Car arrogance!!

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

After sleeping on it:

still kinda feel the same about Heupel. Not excited but not so certain he’s going to crater the program any worse than it is.

just really damn frustrating that these AD types can’t do the easy right thing. I’d have been thrilled to have Kiffin and if I was AD I’d have gone down there and done it. That said I understand why UT brass wouldn’t do that. They had to deal with all his crap last time, I didn’t.

Which leads to this:

There is a guy right down there at coastal who would’ve taken this job and the vast majority of us would be at least hopeful, if not excited. The outcome wouldn’t be guaranteed, maybe no better or even worse than Heupel (I doubt it but that’s a different conversation.) but at the very least we would’ve been pretty much united behind him, and we need that here. But no. We just can’t do that. We have to be smarter than the rabble.

And as an aside, for the Dan Wolken and Pat Forde types who tell us to quit letting a Twitter mob run coaching searches and let the professionals do their jobs, THIS IS WHAT WE GET EVERY F’ING TIME. the biggest difference between “the professionals” and “us” isn’t knowledge, it is that they get paid a shitload of money and we get bled dry.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This fanbase should have just accepted Schiano. Everyone was so damn set on getting Gruden that everyone freaked when it wasn't him. Mullen could have gotten a positive reaction, but he was one of the few.

Tennessee would be in a better place today had Schiano been named the coach. Don't like it? Fine. But it's the truth. Just allowed more shit sandwiches to be served.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

it is not the truth, this is revisionist and fantastical. Battered Vol Syndrome, text book definition. "I should not have talked back. then I wouldn't have been in a position to get a huepel nurple."

11. JohnnyQuickkick

And I’d still rather be where we are today than wondering if Schiano knew what was going on

12. VOLinDAWGland

Except you don't actually know that Chadwell would have accepted or maybe even declined.

13. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

All damn day. Shuck Fiano

reVOLt likes this.
  14. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

I hope what I am hearing about him is true - namely that he installs a high-energy culture with a fun offense. That will help recruiting and could lead to us consistently beating low level conference teams, playing 500 with mid tier, and showing some degree of competitiveness against top teams. Basically 7-9 wins a year to hand it off to the next guy who can get us to where we belong.

I wouldn't bet much on that happening though.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

No, but based on everything that’s been seen he
    A) wasn’t contacted and
    2) would’ve accepted

16. VOLinDAWGland

But you don't actually know that.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

Ok.

18. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

What do you tell a Vol fan with two black eyes??

NOTHING!! You already told ‘em twice!!

19. VOLinDAWGland

I thought it was called foreplay

20. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

James Franklin once said the worst part about his players being sexual active was getting the mace out of their eyes.

Memtownvol and VOLinDAWGland like this.