The Tyler Bray Discussion

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Sep 23, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Probably need a thread to discuss our embattled/beloved signal caller. Undeniable talent mixed with questionable dedication. Rocket arm and rocks for brains. What do you think?

I heard some less than flattering things about his investment in the game late last season. Then you have recent remarks about not watching game film. I can't help but think he is a milder version of Da'Rick Rogers. He doesn't do what he is supposed to do and is given a pass. I understand not calling a player out about it publicly, but Dooley frequently praised Da'Rick for turning things around and taking responsibility and maturing and bla bla. Meanwhile, all evidence suggest the troublemaking WR is just as bad as ever and it all culminates with the school booting him. Now, when Dooley tells us in the preseason that Bray's commitment to learning and growing as a quarterback is "extraordinary" do you think maybe exactly the opposite is true? Is Bray still out there winging it like he did as a freshman? Does he still not really know what is happening, but trusts his super arm to get the ball in the hands of his track star receiver?

Recently Erik Ainge commented that Bray was missing extremely obvious cues defenses were showing which led him to not audible or audible into plays that ran right into the defense. He basically said it was really simple stuff that an underclassman QB shouldn't struggle to grasp, let alone a third year starter. To me, Tyler Bray is another extremely talented player that was gifted to Dooley but has been allowed to run wild and really not become any better than he was as a senior in high school.

2. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

all likely true, but Jarvis Jones is going to eat Richardson's ass alive Saturday and Bray will get hurt most likely.

3. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

I'd like to think that he works harder than any of us imagine, and it's more of an indictment on the coaching staff.

I just think about the progress that Crompton made as a comparison.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I'm no QB guru, but all of that sounds extremely plausible given what we've seen the last two weeks. Would be nice if there were a coach we could hire who knew how to handle a QB

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think Crompton's struggles were more him being asked to do a lot of things he couldn't, especially with a mangled Clawfense and feuding offensive staff. I don't think he slept walked through practice or anything.

6. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Kiffin and Co did a really good job with realizing where Crompton's strengths were on the play action rollouts and rolling out of pocket.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Crompton wasn't the sharpest knife in drawer Plus he had surgery and lost a little bit of armstrength that he never got back.

Bray hasn't been coached to do anything other than wing it around, look at the playcalling.

8. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Would have loved to see Bray play for a good staff.

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think he might feel the same way. Hence the half ass preparation.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Look at how he reacts to the majority of the playcalls

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I give you Tyler Bray: go to the 3:45 mark.....

[youtube]JIO-dcw3nWg[/youtube]

12. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Does that make Crash Davis Gruden? I think it does.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

He looks very frustrated on big downs and possessions with what is called.

14. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Tyler Bray=Jeff George 2.0.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I thought that was Stafford?

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

2.0.1?

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That would be a better comparison. IMO

18. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

think of what Bray could do if he had Gruden coaching him for a year.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Put up more than 10 against Kentucky, perhaps.

20. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

Bray has never been what most people thought he was or could be. A lot of issues to fix, with the most important being between the ears. Yes, he has a good arm and good height. After that there is a lot of work that has to be done.