The USFL

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JohnnyQuickkick, Nov 17, 2021.

1. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

… is going to try again. I feel like we’ve established that another pro football league isn’t going to work but here we are.

2. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Not interested

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

No guys! THIS time it will be popular!

InVolNerable likes this.
  4. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The XFL probably had the best chance, but Covid shut that down real fast.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The USFL had a moment in the 80s because they provided a fun, pass happy alternative to the old fashioned NFL (outside of a few teams like the Chargers and Dolphins) and outbid the NFL for some top level talent, all in the spring. They really don't have those advantages anymore.

6. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

There’s room for another league. The internet and streaming makes it cheaper and easier to pull than in the past.

What we don’t need is another league trying to be the minor league to the NFL

I’d love to see it work with different styles of play with different offenses besides pro passing offenses running the same zone running plays. That’s not different or exciting, especially with the talent gap.

7. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Just don’t see the demand for an alternative pro league. Too many have tried and failed.

8. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Like @The Dooz said, the XFL was making a heck of a run at it until COVID.

I think a league that hits areas with no real professional team has a decent shot. I mean, who among us saw there being enough tools to make an MLS team in Atlanta profitable and that city was saturated with professional sports.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I was a teen in Memphis when the Showboats started up. Reggie White signed. Showboat BBQ was money. Again, seems like a different lifetime.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Birmingham using a two tight end T in short yardage. Beauty.