TN Governor Evolution Bill

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Apr 3, 2012.

1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Students might not, parents do. Does your wife teach at a public school or private school?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Yes the students don't give a shit, but they tend to repeat to their parents what was said in class and some of the parents certainly give a shit.

3. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Public school. She's never had an issue with a parent or anything... West High School. Granted it is nothing in depth just small overview.

4. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Sure that's true but like anything I think people make a bigger issue of it than it really is on a day to day basis.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i think for most people you are correct, but all you need is one asshole to raise a shit and make your life miserable. Obviously the same could be said for any class, but math et all tends not to be as emotional.

6. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

There is no doubt about that. Hell when I was in high school it was tradition to shave every player's head that was coming up from freshman ball during Spring practice until one year a couple kids whined to their parents and we all got in trouble. Needless to say we paid them back in practice (football).

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

My response would be that the class is elective.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my wife is an ap english teacher. it's unbelievable the shit parents complain about. particurally if you don't think little amy is AP material.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

oh it has to be an elective, no question. I don't think that solves teh problem neccasarily though. then people will [itch bay] there isn't a seperate class that teaches fundamental christianity or whatever. as law said it's a no win situation.

10. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

I'm not a teacher but do coach at a private christian school... you have no idea the complaints I get at times. Overall it is great but it's almost funny at times.

I kicked a chair and slammed a clipboard and you would I have thought my middle name was Lucifer... there were some that liked it though.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

my brother coaches his daughter's soccer team. He tried to get them to actually have formations and such, but that was vetoed by the parents and administrators because it was determined you couldn't teach that without screaming at them. unbelievable.

I do say that my religion classes did expose me to a lot of views i wasn't prior exposed to in my heathen household and i have found it to be very beneficial in my life, but i still think it's a no win.

12. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

Wow, that's bad. If they had a problem with yelling I'd be fired after the first practice.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

well these kids are like 5. bit different situation. still stupid though.

14. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

haha, I'd never yell at a 5 yr old for sure!

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There aren't classes that teach Mandarin and Dutch either. I think people understand what high school is. If you want advanced study on a particular subject you have to go to college. It's always been that way.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you have more faith in people than i do :)

it's a bit different when people believe there is one true version.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

nor would he. that's the stupidity. you can teach kids things without screaming at them.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I coached Upward basketball for about 10 years. All but one I got a call from the pastor/league head telling me to tone it down, other teams parents were complaining. Ironically though, my players and their parents loved me.

I think I had two moms get mad at me, and in both situations, I understand where they were coming from.

19. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

This probably means your wife is a good teacher. However, I can almost guarantee if this class was taught in many rural counties, such as where I'm from, that there would be instant controversy the first time the teacher muttered anything that a student disagreed with.

20. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

As a son of a longtime public school administrator, I can tell you that at least where I'm from, parents can be some of the most illogical people in the world. Your statement should be right, but when any kind of emotion is involved, parents tend to go nuts. And religious debate sparks all kind of emotions.