To address the "Baylor" situation:

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TXA&M07, Sep 8, 2011.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Baylor is just looking out for Baylor. This is all show to try to make sure they don't wind up in the Sun Belt (where they probably belong). I've seen a couple of tweets today that they will probably land in the Big East. I have no idea what purpose they serve the Big East, but that is where it is reported.

I personally don't see why Baylor, Kansas, Iowa State, K-State & Missouri don't try to add SMU, Houston and a school like Memphis.

Wouldn't be that much in football, but that would be a pretty dang decent bball conference.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm not pretending like you are a lowly Baylor. I'm saying it looks like a dysfunctional family that has nothing to do with the SEC or Slive. Of course you bring something to the table. You're a less successful, less popular, less greedy, and thus more manageable Texas. But you're no top 10 program, despite what your team is currently ranked. You have repeated your current high rankings a few times in these threads like that label were written in more than chalk. Unless you think Oklahoma State is also a top 10 program.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree with all of this. They might be able to replace a Memphis or SMU with a MWC team of some sort, a BYU, etc. if they wanted a little more in football at the sacrifice of basketball.

4. CardinalVol

Side note -

If they are going to join, it's time to put the '39 teams out on the field and settle this thing once and for all.

5. CardinalVol

I almost added BYU, but BYU has a small dose of the Texas symdrome - thinking they are a much bigger deal than they actually are. They'd never join.

6. tidwell

tidwell Chieftain

7. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

Baylor just wants their best interests and there's no way anyone can fault them for that. They know they are in serious trouble if the big texas schools separate. They are going to do everything they can to keep the traditional alignment intact.

8. TXA&M07

TXA&M07 New Member

Hypocrisy at its finest.

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl?id=1994_1185849

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WACO -- Baylor University's 34-member Board of Regents voted unanimously Wednesday to join the Big Eight conference, showing their excitement about the move while also expressing sorrow over the expected demise of the Southwest Conference.

Before the vote, a regent gave Baylor president Herbert Reynolds a T-shirt that said, "If you are going to run with the big dogs, you have to get off the porch."

School officials said they think the Bears can be one of the big dogs in NCAA Division I athletics, thanks to the expected move of four SWC schools to the Big Eight in the fall of 1996.

"We are proud and pleased to be offered an invitation to join the Big Eight conference," said Thomas R. Powers of Houston, chairman of the Board of Regents and chief executive officer of TransAmerica Fund Management Co. "We feel it will offer us an opportunity to increase exposure on a national basis and provide our alumni and students an opportunity to be a part of one of the major national conferences.

"We will endeavor to take every action we need to take to be competitive, and we will be competitive."
    Reynolds said the national exposure will increase Baylor's prestige and help in its calling as a Baptist school.

"We'd be very surprised if our applicant pool did not go up for enrollment," Reynolds said. "If we can compete against the very large, secular institutions in a very meaningful and satisfactory way, from our standpoint, that is a great witness to our church-relatedness."

Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech are expected to join Baylor in the proposed 12-member Big Eight, leaving behind SWC members Rice, Houston, TCU and SMU.

Baylor was the first school whose regents voted on the matter. Regents at A&M, Tech and Texas will discuss the issue today or Friday.

"We are certainly saddened by the demise of the Southwest Conference," Powers said. "I think it was something that was going to happen sooner or later.

"We certainly wish those who did not receive an invitation well. I feel sure they are fine institutions and they will find a place in some other program that will be appropriate for them."

Baylor officials said they took notice there could be changes coming when Notre Dame, apart from the College Football Association, signed its own television contract with NBC in 1990. The need for change was bolstered later that year when Arkansas decided to leave the SWC for the Southeastern Conference.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

The "Baptist Mission of the school"... Do they see the mission of their university as evangelizing? Does TCU talk like that? Just wondering. I thought their mission would involve educating Baptists to go out to the world.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

This is the longest red rover match ever.

11. volfanbill

volfanbill Active Member

that's not hypocrisy at all. Baylor knew it was just formality before Texas, A&M, Tech and the other heartland schools that mattered were moving so they did. Just like Baylor did back then, they sought their best interests. Losing OU, Texas, A&M, etc hurts them exponentially. They are after what helps them best. As I said before, there's no way anyone can blame them.