top 10 crazy shake up

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by TangoUniform, Nov 26, 2022.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, there seemed to be some critique on how I was presenting how I saw the playoff picture back when it mattered to the Vols. I was looking at it from the perspective that just like in the BCS era, ANY undefeated P5 team is seen as better than ANY 1 loss P5 team, and ANY 1 loss P5 champion is better than a 1 loss P5 that didn't make its championship game. Does that make sense? No. But it is what they do.

2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I think there’s a chance that could’ve changed this year. I don’t think Clemson would have jumped us. Plus people kinda knew they sucked.

OneForVol and justingroves like this.
  3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And Hooker getting hurt killed any chance. I firmly believe they take that into consideration and not the overall team record.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I can't say I blame them

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can fault them for not saying it.

thagodfather and HCKevinSteele like this.
  6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They definitely should say it

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Here's where I am.

With no Hooker, I don't want to be in the playoff, because UGA would beat us into a bloody pulp and that would take away a lot of the shine from the season.

I'm split on if I want to jump Bama. I mean, obviously, I do, for many reasons. But at the same time, I really, really, really want to beat Clemson down in the Orange Bowl.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Reasonable take from Pruitt.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm here, as well. The Sugar Bowl has the cache from its years as the landing spot for the SEC champ, but the potential match up with Clemson is the juiciest and the Orange is every bit equal in prestige as the Sugar.

Memtownvol likes this.
  10. DownNDirty

DownNDirty Contributor

Has playing poker made this mother[uck fay]er smarter all of a sudden? He's had some semi-intelligent takes lately. At least with him I don't have disdain like I do for that Trumpet [uck fay]ing troll that roamed our sidelines.

11. CardinalVol

Plus it's been 32 years since we've gone to it. "It just means more" to me than the Orange.

IP likes this.
  12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'd be happy with the Orange and a win and bammer losing the Sugar. I'd be quite gleeful in this scenario.

NorrisAlan and IP like this.
  13. CardinalVol

Growing up, how I viewed the big bowls -

Sugar - My personal gold standard Ney Year's in New Orleans was the goal
    Rose - Big 10 and Pac 10, who cares? Overrates
    Orange - Nebraska or Oklahoma would go to Miami and play whichever of Miami/Notre Dame/FSU/Penn State had the best season
    Cotton - Second favorite Bowl, I'm guessing because of the 1990 version when we beat Arkansas, usually a low key surprising fun game ***
    Fiesta - A couple of really good teams that couldn't win their conference that was on TV alongside the Rose Bowl, usually on NBC
    Citrus - ACC winner (which honestly, was G5 quality at the time) versus whoever was decent and not taken by one of the above Bowls. Somehow it got its own timeslot at noon central time.

*** - If you ever get a chance, watch the 79 Cotton Bowl. If you want to see the biggest propaganda push in the history of sports, it's this. Montana did NOTHING other than the final throw of the game. If Houston could have snapped a decent ball to the punter in the second half, that game isn't even close.

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

And somehow the Peach Bowl became something other than a low tier chicken affair.

CardinalVol, NorrisAlan and A-Smith like this.
  15. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

The ACC is still G5 quality.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  16. IP

IP Super Moderator

The rose bowl is only overrated because the B1G and pac12 play in it, who are overrated. The bowl itself has the history and pageantry to almost overcome those conferences.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

G5 with a decent haircut.

18. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Yeah the Rose Bowl is the Grandaddy

I always thought highly of the Orange Bowl as a kid. They had a slightly higher payout than the Sugar and seemed to have a hand in the National Championship more often.

Looking back, I think what happened was that Big 8 champs were more likely to get through their season unscathed than SEC champs and be ranked a little higher. And then they were able to attract whoever was ranked highest (Notre Dame, Miami, Florida State) as the opponent. I remember being utterly stunned at the smackdown Bama was able to put on Miami in 1992 when they got them in the Sugar.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The stadium itself didn’t impress me

VOLinDAWGland likes this.
  20. CardinalVol

It's a relic to what once was that isn't willing to change. Screw it. Keep up with times or die.

cpninja likes this.