Transfers

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Apr 23, 2018.

1. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

What I believe happened from what I've been reading: he was going to UNC but Thigpen tampered and Pruitt refused to grant the release when he found out.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If true that will not make for a real good relationship between him and Kirkland.

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Grad transfers shouldn't be allowed to be blocked at all.

4. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Ever, to anywhere.

They should be as restricted as coaches are willing to similarly accept.

warhammer and InVolNerable like this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I agree, unless there's blatant tampering by the school they are transferring to

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I imagine if we sign a grad transfer linebacker he’ll get blocked a lot

7. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

I see what you did there

8. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

That's how I feel about undergrad transfers. At least for first time. If they want to transfer again then sure, throw on some restrictions.

But for grad transfers? Don't even care. If he has legitimately graduated, he should be a true 'UFA'.

Tenacious D and lylsmorr like this.
  9. Tenacious D

I think other schools should be able to full-blown recruit grad transfers, without even having to notify the originating school.

Again, just as other schools can and often do with both head and assistant coaches.

This isn’t at your point, but just a general statement - the scales are way, way, way too far skewed for coaches / universities and not nearly enough for players. And when a kid does what he signed to do, keeps his nose clean and graduates, the contract is fulfilled and they ought to be able to move wherever they want, using the existing grad transfer rules, IMO.

They should at least be able to do this one thing.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

In other ridiculous NCAA news, I heard some story about a preferred walk-on at Auburn that’s been prescribed a small, small amount of THC to help treat violent seizures he has.

Banned substance. Suspended. Let’s see if the appeals process helps him at all or if it concludes within five years.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

F the NCAA

12. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

I thought I read his suspension had nothing to do with that

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Possible. Have not followed up since hearing it on the radio.

14. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

I might be confusing it with something else. If true, insanely dumb.

15. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I’m not really sure what the NCAA has done if anything, but Auburn’s doctors did not clear him to play due to the seizures.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Seems kind of weird. Didn’t they know about the seizures when they offered him a spot?

Anyhoo. Auburn says the doctors won’t clear him due to the seizures. The dad says differently, although he may be speculating.

Copied and pasted:

A few weeks ago, after Auburn coaches and staff took a second look at his medical records, they told Harris’ father Curtis that his son could not compete in NCAA athletics while he was taking cannabis oil.

Curtis said telling his son he couldn’t play college football was “the hardest thing I’ve done.” He compared it to the conversation his father had with him at the age of 6, when his father told him and his sister that their mother had passed away.

”You’re taking something away from a kid who’s worked so hard in his life to get there,” Curtis said. “And you’re just taking it away because he’s taking a medication that’s helping with his disability.”

17. Tenacious D

I say, I say...this here is what they call...”lawsuit language”.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Completely reasonable for them to need to explain and justify why thc prescribed for a condition either gives him an unfair advantage or somehow endangers him, or...? And that "?" could turn into a dollar sign, because this seems like a vestige of seeing all things maurijuana as inherently immoral.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sankey said it hasn't crossed his desk yet

20. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

They need to dismantle that rule so it never crosses his desk