Trey Smith

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Aug 9, 2019.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yeah, another year of mauling people and staying healthy and hes a first rounder in my book. I still think I'd take the chance and go and get what I can get. Just me tho

2. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I also wonder if he is concerned about making the team as a lower draft pick with a limited practice schedule during training camp. Hard to go out and earn your spot in that scenario. Just a thought.

3. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Were I Pruitt, I’d cut him before I’d let him return to Tennessee.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I’m doing this for your own good, aight?

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Staying for more money is a fools errand. Get out now and you are one year closer to that second contract, and that is where the real money is made.

utvol0427 and Tenacious D like this.
  6. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

He would be perfect for the Titans

7. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I don't know that he could get on the field with the Titans. Their OL depth is pretty impressive. Especially for the interior spots.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The only reason he should stay is if he's been told by most NFL teams he's too big of a medical risk right now to draft in the top 3 or 4 rounds. NFL teams won't practice around a 5th round guard's medical needs.

SetVol13, Tenacious D and chavisut like this.
  9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Buddy who knows way more about this than I told me that NFL teams are hesitant to draft him (not rounds, to even draft him) because of medical past. So I suppose there is some sense in coming back and showing 2 years worth of healthy play.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Two years of healthy play and two years' worth of showing how the practice schedule works would probably help a lot.

I have no doubt he can make it if he's given an opportunity

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I'd say it's likely around 90% he's back.

Very, very unfavorable reviews from NFL staffs. He's 1st round talent when healthy, but no one is taking the risk even in the late rounds until they see a bigger body of work.

I was on the train of wanting him to go, and go immediately. At this point, if he has any chance of having a lengthy NFL career, he has to come back.

12. CardinalVol

I have no doubt he'll be an all-pro if given the opportunity.

13. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Press Conference at 1 ET tomorrow.

14. Tenacious D

Entirely fair. I withdraw the point.

15. Tenacious D

FYP

16. CardinalVol

Up until about 4pm yesterday I was firmly in the "go get paid" camp. Now, well, I see the other side of the issue.

Tar Volon likes this.
  17. Tenacious D

I just want Trey to continue to be healthy, first and foremost.

Seeing him be fantastically rewarded for mauling people while playing football is an important, albeit distant, second.

I’m sure everyone feels the same.

It bodes well that he’s got a great head on his shoulders, and is surrounded by experts and people who love and are genuinely concerned for his best interests.

He’ll make the correct call, and I hope it’s the best one for him, whatever that is.

The Dooz likes this.
  18. Tenacious D

After I saw your post and JG’s, it occurred to me that it is precisely my feelings that he should run to the NFL while he could....that NFL teams would wonder if he even could, and was worth taking any risk on him, at all.

I’m slow, just in general.

19. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

Just to mention this-
    With his return we have a seriously deep offensive line. Amazing the turn around of depth that Pruitt has accomplished there.

20. CardinalVol

I had never fathomed that he would be considered undraftable. Drop from 1-2 round to 4-5 round, sure. But undraftable? Never even crossed my mind.

Tar Volon and NorrisAlan like this.