Trivia Contest: Question 9

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by volfanjo, Aug 9, 2012.

1. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's right.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Random memory this thread stirred up -

Jeff Francis was my favorite player when I was a 7 year old. My freshman year in college I was eating lunch at Gibbs one day and he was in front of me in line. I got to talk to him and told him he was my favorite player when I was a kid. He told me thanks for making him feel old.

3. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

This post made me feel young.

4. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Jeff Francis ushered in a new era of UT football and broke all the records for his time. He was a good one.

5. CardinalVol

He's a great guy IMO. My guess is tripper can give us a lot of info about him, but I really like him.

Sheesh, hard to believe it will be 25 years this fall since I went to my first UT game. 38-12 victory over Cal. Sorry dros.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Damn my first one was 94 Arkansas

7. CardinalVol

I had strep throat, the doctor told my parents not to let me go, but one of my dad's good friends was a pharmacist, and when we were picking up the meds that night, my dad told him what was going on, and the pharmacist told him to let me go, just don't let me get overly excited.

I would make a similar decision.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I was the same way for the '98 SEC Championship. I was older, though, so I had a bit more sayso in whether or not I was well enough to go. Was about to slip into a coma when we were losing in the fourth, though.

9. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

1976 UT-Bama was my 1st. We lost 20-13. Partially explains my burning hatred for the Tide.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Old fart

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yep. Will never forget it. We parked along the river (when you still could), and dad locked the keys in the truck. We went to the Vol Navy to get a coat hanger to open the door. Got the keys and returned to the boats for a fun time.

That game was one of the best memories with my dad. It is my earliest memory of not being treated like a kid even though I was. Good times made even better because I was with my dad.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

My first was Louisville in 93. Remember we sat under the press box and nearly froze to death, and Louisville's WRs got in 3 point stance.

13. tripper

tripper Member

Jeff is a really good guy. I've always enjoy talking football with him. Pretty good stories especially about Gruden. We suckered him into coaching the 9 year old West youth team, now he's got the bug and coaching the 10's.

14. InVolNerable

My first game was 1999 UGA. Onterrio Smith took back a kickoff for a touchdown, the last time UT has done this.

(I realize that is hyperbole, but it sure feels like that was the last special teams touchdown we've had.)

15. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

I believe 1997 So Car was my first game at Neyland. 1995 Memphis was my first game ever, if memory serves me correctly

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  16. CardinalVol

If you are talking about "the game" vs Memphis, it was 1996. I was also in attendance that afternoon. And still get ****ed thinking about it.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

'96. My mistake. Most of that game has been blocked from memory

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

It was Leonard Scott.

19. InVolNerable

NM, you're right. Onterrio Smith did something badass that game didn't he? I remember after that game I thought he was a badass. Maybe I just thought his name was awesome and that's why it stuck with me.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
  20. CardinalVol

I had a coworker who helped him i think a couple of years ago. He helped with one of the teams and i thought it was Jeffs. I know dooleys kid wad on his team.