POLITICS Trump Replacing NAFTA

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Oct 3, 2018.

1. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Maybe in smaller cities without subways or tram systems.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I mean this respectfully, I swear: have you ever lived in a city with a subway system? They are great, but they are not equivalent to a car or automated cars. Not even close. They are more like "super buses." They go to predefined places quickly, and unlike buses they don't have to deal with traffic. But they can't take you anywhere you want to go. In fact, outside of New York, most cities have fairly linear "people mover" arrangements. And expanding them is fought vigorously by property owners. In the same way Uber has been wildly successful in large cities, so too will automated driving. in fact, it will likely replace things like uber and taxis. And eventually buses.

I know sometimes seeing is believing. But man, automated vehicles could really transform metropolitan areas for the better.

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Apparently Eurpe has a good system. I know Miami transportation is absolute garbage. I didn't think DC was bad, but I used it mostly to go touristy stuff. NYC, I used taxis, the subway scared me.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

DC is horrible. Horrible.

But if you are doing touristy stuff, the subway takes you anywhere you need to go. Not so much for a working stiff.

kmf600 likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Miami has the dumbest rail system on the continent.

kmf600 likes this.
  6. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

We voted for a half penny sales tax to improve the metrorail, guess what happened.

7. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Your tax dollars were squandered.

Am I right? I don’t want to be right.

But IP is correct, here, mass transit is legit.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

You would be right sir, imagine.

BTW, I never vote for tax increases, because this is what happens. Every. Single. Time.

9. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

DC is fantastic if you are a tourist or a resident and live walking distance to the metro and are going to visit or work near a metro terminal... which a good number of people do. Usually the metro is pretty prompt and, compared to other metro transport systems, is much more efficient and clean than US competitors. I haven't been to Paris, but I've had multiple people tell me it's akin to the Parisian metro.

However, if you have to drive, it's horrible. One of the worst cities I've ever been to and that's considering Houston, Atlanta, NYC, LA and I-40.

The only weakness is the metro still hasn't reached Dulles, which causes a lot of the traffic on the East-Westbound veins.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Saying just be a better driver is, frankly, idiotic. Everyone, EVERYONE, has mental lapses, especially driving, which can turn into a form of hypnosis. You think I am 100% scope locked on driving 100% of the time on my 45 minute morning commute to work? No one is. It is very hard to do.

And someone can swerve into your lane without any signs of being erratic up until that point, especially with phones being so ubiquitous now.

Also, I have a friend that was rear ended by a person that was on their phone while he was stopped at a stop light. Not much you can do when you are boxed in.

And the used car vs new car is meaningless as well, as the new cars turn into used cars, and odds are if it is being sold to a person, the safety systems have never fired off. They are now getting a safer car than they would have bought used 10 years ago.

Not all regulations and requirements are evil. I don't want to live in a caveat emptor world.

11. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I sometimes look around after driving a while and say, how the [uck fay] did I get here.

Beechervol and justingroves like this.
  12. Tenacious D

I've driven in DC and could not, for the life of me, figure out the layout of those streets.

kmf600 likes this.
  13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

It really wasn't designed for automobile traffic, that is pretty clear.

14. Tenacious D

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

The district is split into 4 quadrants, around the US capitol. All stree incluDE their quadrant after their name.

Streets running N-S are numbered from West to east. The lettered streets run w-e and go down the alphabet away from the east capitol st. The quadrant of the address tells you whether it is north or south of the capitol and the first number of the street address tells you what n-s streets it is between, or for n-s addresses the number tells you which lettered street it is between (so like 1### would be between A and B street).

Mix in diagonal streets and strees named after famous Americans further out, other system name schemes of like trees and stuff, but the heart of the city is as described above.

16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Hes just continuing what Nixon had going. Zero credit due.

VolDad and kmf600 like this.
  17. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

They explained that to me the couple of times I've been there, I say, I got it, then get totally lost.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Piss on automated cars. That's a lack of freedom I can do without. They'll pry my steering wheel out of my cold dead fingers unless this misguided fantasy comes along about the time I start [itch bay]ing about Hardees not opening earlier in the morning and need reliable transportation because those ungrateful kids of mine took my car keys away.

justingroves and ptclaus98 like this.
  19. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Then we get hacked and cars kill everybody. I seent it already.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

In that dark situation, you could call a service to send an automated car over to hardee's, pick up your biscuits, and drop them off at your door.