POLITICS Ukraine

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Jan 22, 2022.

1. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

The difference seems to be, we (wife and I) never thought (probably naively) about the cost. It happened and we had to make it work.

My kids probably planned for kids better because they lived what happens when you don't.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

I already did move out. You think I could afford a house near the city? I have a 1 hour commute, not sure it makes sense to add to that. My wife has a 15 minute commute because she changed jobs and no longer works in Georgetown.

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don’t know your life. Why did you settle in the DC area?

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

A lady

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don’t think it’s incredibly hard to be successful in America but at the same time a lot of places in America culturally makes it incredibly hard to be successful.

I think since the 60’s and 70’s we’ve drained a lot of the country and flowed that money to costal cities. Most of that has been from the working class to the managerial class due to our monetary and political policies.

That’s worked well for highly educated, politically connected, and those already holding assets but we’ve inflated the cost of things to the point that it’s incredibly hard to actually build or do anything for the average person.

HCKevinSteele likes this.
  6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

with a headache

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I brought her the headache.

8. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

shocker

IP and Indy like this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

She won't allow that, I will get in trouble

10. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I’d tell you you should start off small and work yourself up, but I imagine that’s already been broached, considering…

fl0at_ likes this.
  11. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

For every minute that Russia does not attack equals another minute to provide weapons to Ukraine and another minute to shoot down a helicopter, jet, kill a few soldiers (death by 1,000 cuts)

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

The Boston Marathon has banned Russians and Belarussians.

It’s a little surprising to see Boston, a supposed beacon for liberalism, go this route. I don’t really see any benefit to Ukraine either. Reminds me of the sorts of things that got cranked up against German and Japanese Americans in WW2. And this isn’t even a conflict we’re actively fighting.

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

So, the tweet I saw about this kind of implied that it was anyone originally from those two countries. But, after reading an article, it is only those who currently live there. The rationale is to impact public opinion in Russia. That changes it a little I guess.

My biggest thing is how easily we judge the WW2 generation for treatment of the Japanese when it felt like the whole world was burning down. It is easy to see how you can get to that place quickly.

14. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Are we going to change Russian Dressing to "Big Mac Sauce Dressing" ala "Freedom Fries" and "Liberty Cabbage"?

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I believe the difference is that those decisions impacted Japanese Americans. What's happening now isn't negatively impacting Americans who are of Russian descent, as far as I know.

16. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Sure.

But there is also no comparison in now and 1941. France had fallen. It looked like Russia and Britian would too. We had been attacked and everyone thought California would soon get hit. It was a scarier time. I get that internment camps for the Japanese was wrong. But it is really easy, sometimes, to judge our grandparents w/o putting ourselves in their place.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’ve never heard of Russian dressing, but I assume it is or is similar to 1000 Island since you mention Big Macs.

Either way, that shit should be banned not because of it’s name but because it’s disgusting.

utvol0427 and justingroves like this.
  18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I'm not sure there is a comparison between interment camps and banning someone from running a race, if we're just bringing up comparisons.

SetVol13 and justingroves like this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

This reminds you of internment camps for American citizens?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

You... made the comparison though?