POLITICS Ukraine

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by CardinalVol, Jan 22, 2022.

1. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'm not sure what point you are making.

edit: my point is that 1941 actually had license to be afraid.

2. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

It's definitely the same impetus. But there was a national security threat then. There actually were Japanaese American spies. And the world was teetering.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Obviously. But it's early.

4. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I'm just completely shocked that the libs on this board think we are more morally evolved than our grandparents who fought the Japanese and Germans in WW2.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Do you have a link to support this claim? I don't think we are more morally evolved. I believe the entire lesson of Nazi Germany and Hitler is that we are all capable of supporting great evil without even fully realizing that is what we are doing, if it is packaged with things we want to hear.

But this is a [uck fay]ing marathon on US soil, no one has a right to be in it. In fact, it is hard to be in it. And it is perfectly acceptable to exclude a nation from it. It is in no way comparable to an internment. And you are the one posting justifications for internment.

This is a weird line you are on.

tvolsfan and fl0at_ like this.
  6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, there is no justification in suspending the rights of American citizens. Not in 1941 and not now. It was wrong.

A-Smith and tvolsfan like this.
  7. IP

IP Super Moderator

can't believe "libs" are fine with excluding Russian citizens from a race. But let's close the borders to refugees and immigration in general. I guess if they have money all is well. May need to update the plaque on the statue of Liberty. Give us your oligarchs, your robber barons, your super models, yearning to break free... of any strings of consequence.

8. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Damn, Damn, damn, Much Respect for Malcolm!!!!

MSNBC analyst Malcolm Nance reveals he joined fight in Ukraine

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    tvolsfan likes this.
  9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I don't believe we'll be taking away rights of American citizens, because that's the line--not a private event.

10. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Well I am a little annoyed at myself for this but I am going to come back somewhat concilliatory.

I don't think Japanese internment was justified. Imprisoning people and stealing their stuff is wrong. I said it was wrong yesterday. But I do think the evil of it is partly mitigated by fear/self-defense instinct. I have read enough history and talked enough to my grandparents to feel like I understand the emotions of what was going on at that time. And yeah, there was some racism involved, but that definitely wasn't the core of it. People were scared. People often overestimate threats in real time. Like this: https://www.nytimes.com/1983/05/22/us/1941-cables-boasted-of-japanese-american-spying.html The ax I am grinding is probably not against the posters here, but the line I see so often on Twitter etc. "It's 2022 and people still..." I do not believe we are that different. Just richer and less threatened.

I appreciate your third sentence. I think understanding the depths of our own potential depravity is an exercise people should go through. Everyone should read this book (or at least learn about it)https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/70561.The_Gulag_Archipelago_1918_1956

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I didn't realize the Boston Marathon was a "private" event. That surprises me.

12. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

It's a major run, that requires qualification. It isn't like St Jude.

gcbvol likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

We have an interesting divergence in opinion here. We both agree people are morally no more evolved now than in the 1940's and are equally susceptible to falling into doing "evil" to people. But I don't think fear or level of threat mitigate the mistake in anyway. There is no excusing it, only learning from it and doing better.

It would be justified to have stripped Russia of all Olympic medals and barred them from competition for violating the Olympic rules regarding warfare during the games. Boston Marathon is right to do this and should do so any time a nation attempts to seize territory for another, which is simply unacceptable in the post world War 2 era.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Modern day Nostradamus.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    gcbvol likes this.
  15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

jesus. This guy eviscerated the Russians over a year ago, his sarcastic sword just doing terrible work!

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

They're too brain washed and hollowed out to succeed, it is only a matter of how long until it collapses.

17. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I fear this will go right over the heads of a larger % of Americans than I imagined.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Did they really use a picture of Matt Damon?

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

The Bourne Forgery.

Ssmiff and Poppa T like this.
  20. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I think that was a joke re: Jason Bourne's fake passport in the movie.

Google "Foma Kiniaev" and it explains it.