Uneducated Knee-Jerk Reactions, Arky State Style

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NorrisAlan, Sep 6, 2014.

1. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

You're right. The true read actually happens far less than media and analysts would have you believe. (Referring to all teams, not just UT)

2. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I suspect the coaches do not want Worley to run, as they fear he will get hurt.

3. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Playing complete devil's advocate here....It seems that they're gonna try and RS Dobbs, but what if he comes out and starts in prime time....But from that rope he threw in the O&W game to Malone and his ability to keep the read and run like hell, Dobbs could be a big game changer with Hurd and those receivers. But it would show just how big of a dumbass Bajaja is for not giving him a single snap thus far.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Which is fine. Just don't base your non-passing game off of the QB not passing or giving the football to someone else.

5. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

From what I hear Dobbs overthrows everyone

6. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

I like what Wolfe adds to the passing game, but I have seen him miss a block that led to a sack last week and one that led to Hurd getting stuffed yesterday. He needs to improve, but I am sure he will given his age.

7. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

With our WR speed, I would rather have an overthrow that might be ran down than an underthrow that turns into a worm burner or pick 6. At least with Dobbs at QB, the DEs couldn't be crashing down all the time because with Dobbs' speed it would be off to the races.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Let's not forget how bad our offense was when Dobbs got his chance. If he can't decisively beat out Peterman he just isn't the answer, no matter how much more effective he might be on the option.

9. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Well, let's touch on that. Dobbs had been intended to RS last season. So I doubt he'd gotten a lot of the snaps preseason. He probably didn't begin getting true reps until Peterman went down against Florida. Plus he was thrown into the fire versus Bama when Worley went down. He only had Howard and North capable of making game breaking plays last year. They were out there virtually every snap last year until North was hurt. Croom was hurt last year with a sore hammy most of the season. So when you have 2 targets that are readily double covered, there was not much of a true opportunity there. Who's to say he didn't beat out Peterman this year. If they are trying to RS Dobbs this season, which is how it appears, he may actually not be 3rd on the depth chart. He certainly looks capable of making all the throws in warmups.

Worley has looked somewhat accurate this year, as he is hitting about 65% of his passes at this point. There were at least 6 plays last Saturday that if Worley keeps on the read, he's still running.

Last season, Dobbs had completed 59.5% of his passes with 2 TD and 6 Int. He also ran for 200 yards in 5 games. Not saying he's better than Worley, but he gives an added dimension that we're not currently using in this offense.

10. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Devil's advocate: Maybe the least talented of QBs will be the ones that work the best in this system?

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I have a pretty hard time believing that at this point Butch is saving Dobbs for some reason. He probably just isn't that good.

12. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

He's got the skills needed and a brain made by NASA.

13. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I dont think saving would be accurate. I think he had to take the job by force in the fall and he just didnt perform well enough to do that. The RS makes good sense at that point.

14. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Before you write Dobbs off, he was more accurate than Worley last season and also had about a 130 more rushing yards in 2 less games than Worley. Dobbs would've had a lot better numbers too if he'd been able to play against Western Kentucky, South Alabama and Austin Peay. That's my 2 cents.

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I don't know what to think about Dobbs, other than it just seems like (at this point) what you get with him is less than the sum of the parts.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

The ole "saving it for Florida" excuse is being dusted off and used for Oklahoma, huh?

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Drink some Kool-Aid, IP. We're gonna beat the Sooners!

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Neither of which ensures he'll be decent at football.

19. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

And Worley played better against the better competition. Dobbs, sans 5 or 6 throws, never looked good throwing the football. At least Worley was able to lead a victory over USCe and a close, flukey loss to UGA.

Dobbs' first passing TD was a terribly-thrown pass that went thru two UK DBs' hands. His outings consisted of an understandable blowout against Alabama, an inexplicable blowout against Missouri, an atrocious team-showing against Vandy, and his lone, saving grace of a game against UK -- which is equivalent to WKU/South Alabama.

The only thing remotely comparable, offensively, to that Mizzou game was the first half of last year's UF game. Both outings made you want to gouge out your eyes.