Union County

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Sep 15, 2019.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

That’s my go-to as well. Tried a flight of A5 Wagyu to Texas Prime 4 oz strip cuts at a restaurant here recently. Really neat concept. Learned I’m not a big fan of A5 Wagyu.

2. TennTradition

I’m going to go ahead and add this to your long list of lies about Trump’s greatness. I don’t know which is harder to believe.

Tenacious D likes this.
  3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I want good food and a lot of it. I love filets, but o usually want more than 8 ounces of food too.

Honestly, Texas Roadhouse has really good steaks. We went there one night a few months ago because it was the closest place and wasn't too busy, and I was very pleased. Have gone back several times since.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I guess I’m in the minority of liking a bone in my steaks

5. TennTradition

I’m going to get a dry-aged bone-in NY Strip next week at a place here in town.

They’re actually only one of 9 places in the country with a license to import true Kobe A5 Wagyu but I’m not paying for that after what I learned on that steak flight. I’m going to hit that bone-in strip and it’s going to be amazing.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I’ll eat about any cut but rib eye is always the best imo

NorrisAlan and Tenacious D like this.
  7. TennTradition

If we are doing a family dinner and I want a steak, that’s where we go to.

I don’t need a massive steak but a 14 ounce strip hits the spot.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

That's us, the family dinner. My son is picky, but loves their steaks.

There is a restaurant here called Walnut Kitchen that we go to on date nights. Can buy from their butcher as well and we plan on buying some for NYE.

9. TennTradition

I had one recently and remembered why it’s such a good cut. But I’ve had so many misses with it I guess I need to build trust with the steakhouse first.

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I also don’t order steak out hardly ever

11. TennTradition

This place we are going to next week has a butcher shop downstairs that does a multiple course meat tasting (can pair with wine) for lunch. I’m thinking of requesting that for my birthday. And thinking about asking to go there for the tasting as well.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I guess we better call you T-bone.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I've ordered it medium rare in the past expecting it to be overcooked, but yeah.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Do they sprinkle the meth on the top or stuff it inside the meat?

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Yes.

Tenacious D likes this.
  16. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

i'll be in the minority on ribeye. Always like it ok, especially the outside part near all the fat, which is always more tender than the middle circle of meat, but there always seems to be too much waste. 16 oz ends up being 12 oz and 4 oz of fat and gristle. Flat iron or filet here. Flat iron isn't flank as some may confuse as their packaging looks the same. It's seal packed with good marbling and no wasted meat. Costs $10-14 at Kroger. Thinly slice into 20 or so pieces and it'll feed 2-4 people. Boys love it and cut it with a fork.

17. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

18. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

For reference, both because it’s well-deserved and in in hopes that some of you might make it up there. It looks to be doing a brisk trade, but I’m still glad to offer some help, however small, to any businesses that get it right, but especially those who are small and local.

Best, the owner is hands on - he was personally serving customers the whole time I was there, including the telling of corny jokes, and hand-delivering my steak - and it shows in the food they produce.

Address: 3905 Maynardville Highway, Maynardville, TN 37807

upload_2019-12-29_12-20-12.jpeg

utvol0427 likes this.
  19. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I’ve got a friend who loves the exact same - flank and filet - and won’t eat anything else. I’ve had many of both, and they’re each delicious, just not my personal favorites.

The flank is a surprisingly tender steak, but still not on par with the more “traditional” cuts - but I’m all for whatever someone likes. Some people prefer a less tender / more firm cut, and there’s nothing wrong with that.

All things being equal, I’d rank my favorite cuts as:
    1. Tomahawk ribeye (it really eats like a different steak than a ribeye)
    2. Brisket
    3. Ribeye
    4. Filet
    5. Porterhouse (This is just a t-bone and strip, combined)
    6(a). T-bone
    6(b). NY Strip (which is the other half of a t-bone)

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I’ve never had a tomahawk steak but they look amazing.