UT's last "big win"

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Jul 7, 2012.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

When was it?

I think it may have been 2005, when Rick Clausen's dream came to life and he got to go back to Baton Rouge and lead a come-from-behind win over his old team.

Am I forgetting a more recent one? Obviously the term "big win" is subjective, but I mean against a major conference opponent or highly ranked team. It's been an embarrassingly long time.

Maybe South Carolina with Kiffin in 2009?

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'd put in a vote for 2006 Cal. I mean, it didn't really shake the college football landscape, I guess, but coming off 2005 it was a pretty big win against a national program, and just a hammer job. 2006 Georgia, too, putting a big number on them too.

Also beat Georgia with Kiffin. Granted, not an SEC-East winning Georgia, but still, that's one of the games UT has to win.

Georgia and Arkansas in 2007 were pretty big too. That season could've gone completely down the toilet, but those were good wins against pretty good conference teams.

I guess relative is correct, though, none of these were knocking off a top 5 opponent or anything.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

2011 Vandy IMO. Huge W for the program.

4. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

2011 Kentucky..... oh wait

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

06 Cal, 06 UGA, 07 UGA, 09 USCe or 09 UGA

The 2006 UGA win made the cover of SI

6. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I'm not sure South Carolina can ever be seen as a big win. Maybe Georgia '06...but that Georgia team wasn't that impressive. Probably Cal '06 or LSU '05.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Cal in '06

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Cal '06 felt like and seemed to be a big win at the time, but I have a hard time putting it up there with '98 Florida, '01 Florida or, even '03 Miami.

I don't think '05 LSU was that big of a win. I would say it was more of a big loss for LSU.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Cal seemed like a big game, but in retrospect all it gave us was droski

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Not a big win, imo, as UT always beats the s h i t out of Vandy. Dooley said it himself; thus, it's constant in the universe.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The next one.

Because at this point with this staff and the mediocrity that our fans have accepted, they're all big.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

'10 LSU and '10 North Carolina until after the handshake

GBO

13. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

Ouch...

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Hey, Majors and Fulmer were both fired following losses to South Carolina... what do you think that means?

15. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Big news on Oct 28, 29, or 30 this year?

16. CardinalVol

I would say UGA 07. That was a good Georgia team and we beat the hell out of them. You could argue one of kiffin's wins were equal but that was the last time we lined up and just pounded the ball down s really good teams throat.

17. CardinalVol

I'm going with October 15 after we fall to 2-4 after a loss to state.

18. MaconVol

MaconVol Chieftain

We will be 4-2 at the worst at that point. Despite Dooley's ineptitude.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

They finished as a top 15 team and we whipped their asses. I'll allow it as a big win.

20. DarthVisor

DarthVisor Active Member

You left out Sanders, though he wasn't a head coach. Losing to South Carolina=pack your shat and gtfo.