UT's Offense Under Gruden

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by nashvillevol, Nov 15, 2012.

1. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

Any thoughts on the type of offense Gruden plans on implementing next year? Does this hinge on the Offensive Coordinator hire?

I know he has expressed a lot of interest in Oregon's scheme, but I would think he would need a couple of years to get the right players for that, assuming Patterson and Hunter are gone.

2. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

I honestly don't have a clue but believe he ran a west coast offense in the NFL which makes me think it would be a fairly easy transition considering what we're doing now.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Uptempo west coast offense, imo. May have spread elements. Might resemble patriots/broncos

4. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

He would design the offense to the players we have. He much prefers however a mobile QB. He loved Gannon and wold roll him out and run all over. Honestly, his teams with the Raiders were better then that Tampa team that one and more to his design. Baltimore injured Gannon on a dirty play one year and the NFL stole one from him after 9/11. He would of won the super bowl if he had not be traded as a Raider the next year IMO. But he used Garner and Wheatley/FBs as run threats. He would throw to Garner alot. He would run to the edge a lot. He would run up the middle as well using Wheatley or one of the two FBs. He thus likes a thunder and lightning type of combo. He used all of his WRs. He had Rice, Brown and Porter...Jett occasionally. You never knew which guy was the guy on any given day. One day Rice was the feature the next Brown the next Garner. It was the best O in the league. The one negative to his O is it is not cold friendly. I do not see that as an issue unless the big ten wins its argument of getting a major bowl in a cold arena. All JMO.

5. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

Very good post. I didn't realize the Big Ten played real football.
    Also,Oakland got robbed against NE with the phantom tuck rule call. Oakland had the best team in the NFL that year.

6. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I look for a hybrid west coast/spread uptempo. He has taken an interest in the uptempo spread since his last coaching job. I hesitate to say revolutionary, but I think it will definitely be innovative.

7. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

I was thinking the same thing, that is really what good coaches do. If somehow he convinces Bray/Patterson/Hunter to hang around next year, the he could easily spread it out and keep the uptempo/no huddle style working. One thing I think he will do is improve the short passing game. I would think he could do a good job improving Bray's accuracy and limiting the overthrows.

8. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I've put out some feelers and based on the info garnered and by JG's love of Tennessee tradition, I am quite confident we will see the return of the single wing. General Neyland may once again R.I.P.

9. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I think it'll be considerably more imaginative than what you normally see around the SEC.

10. robvols

robvols Member

Hunter won't go if he gets the opportunity to play for a coach like Gruden. Patterson may be gone because he may think he is ready for the NFL and his grades reflect so.

11. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Like I said............

12. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

I agree that Patterson will want to go to the next level, but think it's a terrible idea. Poor guy can't run a route to save his life. Another year in college would help him tremendously. I would hate to see such a great athlete stuck on special teams.

13. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Heyward Bey all over

14. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

I can't think of a sensible reason for him to stay. I'd love to see it, but don't know why he would.

15. jlovevols

jlovevols New Member

While I agree that you need to be able to adapt your playbook to your team's strengths, I think it's also important to have an identity on offense. I think it's best to come in with a plan, which may take a little time to implement due to personnel. One of the major problems with the Clawfense was that it had no identity (besides flip-flopping linemen). Clawson said that his style was utilizing player talent to maximize success. Thus, no identity. First you need to have an offensive identity and then you can modify and add wrinkles to better curtail it to your players' strengths.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He will probably learn route-running better when his profession is officially football, and not football and pseudo-academics.

17. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

this argument doesn't make sense to me.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I'll be happy just to see a drop in the number of tough ass throws every freaking week.

We get in tight times and keep asking our QB to throw 30 and 40 yard ropes on a dime and it's just senseless.

19. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

Let's be real here... he's not spending much time in the class room.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Nah, I'm sure it is just that Bray sucks because he is from California and not a gritty tough southern boy.