Vols fan politeness

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by packcodes, Sep 1, 2012.

1. packcodes

packcodes New Member

As a kid who moved to South carolina at 8, a life long NC State fan and a former UGA grad student I feel as if I understand the average SEC and ACC fan. I remember sitting at Williams Brice when state played sc and hating life. Russell Wilson was carted off and a sc fan scream constantly in my face that that us how the hit in the SEC. I witnessed many UGA fans very hostile to the opposition. Just As most state fans, I love my team but if we win or lose there is always BBQ waiting on me after and I offer some to my opposition so that we both enjoy our time. Except UNC fans cause who wants to eat with those ferries.

Anyhow I must say as I walked through the cess pool that is Atlanta and rode the Marta to the car for 30 min, I was shown nothing more than respect and sincerity from you guys. In the words of the great Daniel tosh, "for that we thank you."

2. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

You're welcome. Thanks for the post.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Folks you encountered didn't bring their "A" game, imo. J/k

Seriously, I try to be very friendly to opposing fans sans bammers. They're evil sub-humans. Glad you had a possitive experience and didn't encounter the mouth-breathing portion of our fans. Unfortunately, everyone has this group. They are more prevalent in some programs than others. Most fans I encounter are the same- good folks that love their team and football. The times I'm not are the times that same respect I try to show isn't given. Thanks for posting. Stick around. Glad to have you. The worst fans on the planet, imo, are:

4. Virginia Tech- have no reason to be cocky, but they are pricks. Very arrogant.
    3. Florida- spend too much time in the sun. Cooks their brains, what little they have. They are the nouveau riche of college football as they have no tradition and have no idea how to handle success.
    2. Bammers- no explanation needed

Far and away the absolute worst POS fans in the nation with no one in the same zip code.........
    1. Ohio State- I wouldn't urinate up their ass if their guts were on fire.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  4. GoVols

GoVols Member

Thanks for the post Packcodes.

I've been on both sides of the hospitality spectrum. I've had UGA fans yelling at my after they blew us out in Samford. I've had the entire UGA student section stop what they were doing and boo / flick me off after my UGA fan uncle walked me in front of them. I've had Alabama fans tell me to go **** myself after they blew us out and were chatting Rammer Jammer in Tuscaloosa. I've even had a 50 year old Alabama fan drop his pants while talking to me and start cackling.

That said, I've also had an sweet Auburn couple ask me about my team, wish us luck, and point me to my gate.

Point being, nobody wants to spend hundreds of dollars on gas, tickets, and logging just to get treating like trash because they cheer for a different school. I've taken that lesson to heart and try to treat our visitors to Neyland with as much respect and civility as possible.

I am thrilled you had a great expierence with our fans. I know the NC States fans I sat around were great to me as well.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I almost never ask opposing fans to pull my finger. Just the way I was raised.

6. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

I have met quite a few NC State fans, and they have all been wonderful. The drunk guy that I talked to last night who was obviously upset over his team's performance was still more than happy to discuss the players on their defense and give credit to UT for their performance in the midst of a ten or so minute conversation. In other words, it goes both ways, and that was super cool.

7. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Good stuff. I share your disdain for the ferries.

8. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Stick around packcodes.

9. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Florida and Notre Dame fans are the worst I've encountered but also understand that every fan base has good and bad ones. I find Vandy fans obnoxious as shit but part of that goes with living in Nashville. They're quick to throw out the "we're smarter than you, we don't get arrested" when their team gives them nothing to brag about.

10. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Glad to hear it! The ideal we strive for (or at least I do) is to make the opposing team uncomfortable but the opposing fans feel welcome. I wasn't at the game, but the State fans I've seen around the Internet have been cool.

Fun story about UNC: I teach Intro to Philosophy there on Fridays (won't have my own classes until next year, but I have full control on Fridays). I was wearing an orange and white button-up, of course, and who comes into my first section but a kid in a Pack shirt. So, yes, Friday morning, in a philosophy class at UNC, we had Tennessee/NC State football trash-talking. As it should be.

11. JayVols

I'm betting this coming Friday will be fun and interesting for you.

12. packcodes

packcodes New Member

I actually looked at doing my doctoral work at UNC in Philosophy (as a state fan hurts me to admit that they have a great program) but UGA gave a much better offer. Anyhow, I had a student at UGA that I never saw where anything that didn't have UK on it. I stopped him on his way out and asked him why. His response, "I refused to sell out to these wannabes.".

Bet most of your students have no clue who UNC is playing any given week. Can you answer me how they have gotten away with so much there in terms of athletic academic fraud and gotten only a one year bowl ban?

13. packcodes

packcodes New Member

Sorry for the typos. This iPhone has a mind of its own.

14. JayVols

Autocorrect sucks until you build your vocabulary list. Glad to see you back. This place is full of good folks. Oh, we have our assholes like, NYYVol, but who doesn't? Few and far between here as they tend to flame out rather quickly.

15. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Haha, awesome. Same reason I'm there. And I got my offer three weeks after the 2010 Music City Bowl. You want to talk about it hurting to admit that they were my best offer. I don't know too much about Georgia--did you do continental, or am I just going crazy with stereotypes?

And I have no idea how the NCAA has not yet decided that the academic fraud stuff is an actual issue.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Agree. Can't stand that bastage. I heard he also has a small weiner. TIFWIW, GBO, VFL

17. Florida fans are the trashiest in America. Notre Dame fans are the classiest and the best tippers, from my college bar tending experience.

I greatly enjoy giving opposing fans a hard time in and outside of Neyland, but I have no interest in being hateful.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I always give opposing fans crap, but I know how to take it too. It's all in good fun as long as it isn't taken too far.

19. JayVols

If the amount of shit one receives is a measure of being liked, you're the most beloved poster in the history of message boards. Take it as a compliment that you're a good natured dude.

20. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

There's definitely a difference between good-natured banter and assholery. Part of the fun is the give and take. I haven't made it down to Gainesville, but I've been to Athens twice and they're far and away the worst I've experienced. I went up to Notre Dame in 05 and I thought they were the best.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012