Western

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by cotton, Sep 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

The scariest thing is that I am saying Western will get more pressure than AP, and we saw what happened when Worley saw token pressure.

2. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

they have a transfer from fla in the defensive backfield and an nfl lb. Petrino will definitely go after our cbs, but his underneath junk with the wr screens, etc have always been something we struggle with. Hopefully the DL gets their hands on some batted balls again. Will be interested to see how our db's play the deep ball and see how our safeties help of come up on the TE, as well as look at our DL pressure when the qb does take a bigger drop.

3. limpleg

limpleg He gone. No, really.

Does the center snap concern anyone else? Some were solid, but many floated. That read option is going to be difficult if the DE is already right there when the qb is getting the snap. Or maybe it was fine, but I noticed it early.

4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Ah. I follow now.

5. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Whether you said it or not, it's the inference that drew my comment. I have no doubt they'll be better coached, but regardless, our OL shouldn't have many problems. Worley might as well have had a brick wall in front of him last night.

While I'm sure that Taggert recruited well for WKU, I fully expect them to be mauled by our OL.

6. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

One of the Illinois directional schools hung 59 on Austin Peay last year. Who gives a damn that our guys blocked them? Big deal.

7. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Our guys can pass block. Pretty much the only thing I'm confident in.

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

That's where I am.

9. OrangeBlood79

...and your point is?

10. gorockytop101

gorockytop101 New Member

I'm scared.

11. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

APSU is a poor measuring stick for any part of the game.

12. OrangeBlood79

Completely agree.

13. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

It will be a war. I don't know if its one we can win simply by running the football.

14. JayVols

We'll see. I hope you're right, but getting hit and getting pressured is different. Worley got some pressure last night. He didn't respond well the few times he did. I think it's a bit naive to think Western won't be able to get more. Plus, it's not just the OL that is involved in protecting the QB. If Western doesn't blitz the shit out of us next week, they're idiots. No OL can block 6 rushers. If what I know about the staff there holds true, you're going to see a plethora of blitzes, stunts, and twists next week.

15. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Add to that the fact that is very well known that we are going to have to lean on our run game with an unproven passing game and the game plan is likely to stack against the run and make Worley win the game. You also have to wonder if Petrino has extra motivation to not only beat another SEC Team, but another SEC Team that passed on him. I expect him to be wound tight this week.

Still lots of unknowns, but we are not deep on defense and there is a drop off with subs. But, in end, I haven't seen enough of this Vols team to have a good feel. Our OL is likely the difference, but I am very worried about getting beat deep on big plays. Even AP was able to do that and they were so intimidated that they had it running down both legs before kickoff.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

A dangerous game, but our starters are a level above Kentucky's starters. We just have no depth.

17. JayVols

Yep.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Kentucky averaged almost 7 a rush against them. It's not going to be a cake walk but we should win if we show up ready to play and just run the thing.

However, this will be the first time worley can't win the game for us, but he sure can lose it if he's not careful.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Palardy made two tackles. Against Austin Peay. Ugh.

20. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

And apparently Butch likes to run alot more than pass, and throw in the fact we don't have a good passing QB there's definitely reason to have concern. We could easily lose next week with a poor performance.