What do we know about the Kentucky football team?

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Nov 12, 2014.

1. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Agreed. I predicted 7 wins this season but thought that would come by losing in Columbia and finally ridding ourselves of one very specific (now) decade-long draught.

If we could trade those losses, I think I'd be more optimistic. Regardless of how it happens (IF it happens), an 8 win season exceeds my expectations for this team and, perhaps more importantly, this staff.

...but I expect to notch one in the win column in Gainesville for 2015. That is a very winnable game, and one I expect, circumstances be damned.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I am not suggesting Towles is a great runner, but he is hard to bring down. He is more than capable of converting 3rd downs if we don't wrap up. Plays that extend drives are dangerous. Yes we won at USCe, but Thompson converted a 3rd and very long late. We beat GA last year if Murray doesn't gash us on the big run. I hope it isnt close but I am not cocky.

3. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Yep.

4. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

If we end up with 8 wins the staff, in my eyes, will not only have wiped the slate clean but they'll actually have equity that they can piss away in 2015 in all likelihood.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

8 wins would suffice, but I'm still going to have a very bad taste in my mouth about the Florida game probably for the rest of my life.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

All equity was used up during last year's Vandy game and this year's Florida game. It will take an sec east title for me to believe in Butch the coach

7. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

The whole staff is without a doubt in the negative with me at this point.

I'm just assuming that 7-5 could get us in a fairly attractive bowl and I would be more focused on seeing the improvement of the team than getting mired in the struggles they had last year or earlier this season.

I'd rather go 7-5 winning our last 4 than 7-5 losing our last 4.

That isn't to say I expect a lot next year though.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Nah. 7-5 and losing the last four likely means we were really good but fell off as injuries mounted and razor thin depth took effect. That would still mean a pretty rosy outlook for the future. The offense making a miraculous turnaround because a guy we evidently thought was 3rd best on the roster is essentially 100x better than the two guys in front of him combined is less encouraging.

9. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

That's bullshit. If we end up with 8 wins, I'll still be pissed we could have ended up with 10 wins and maybe in the top 15, had we started the right QB from the beginning of the season

10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

How are you certain that mid-season Dobbs is the same as early-season Dobbs?

11. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

This is where I'm at.

I thought it was a 5-7 season and to think what could have been with Dobbs from the get go.

12. OrangeEmpire

Worley

It's an automatic upgrade

13. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Agreed. We could have run 6-8 different plays with Dobbs and beaten Florida.

14. OrangeEmpire

Who knows what would have happened with Dobbs escapability when our oline was getting ass raped with Worley in

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I feel pretty certain Dobbs didn't make the jump to where he is now from being worse than Peterman just a few weeks ago.

16. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I agree that the UF loss this year sucks and I am still mad about it. But if Butch can drain the swamp and win the east next year I will forget about it.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Safe to assume, unless Dobbs was in an iron lung until recently.

18. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

There are also other factors that could be at play that wouldn't necessarily be for public consumption.

Dobbs/family wish for RS for another year (to get MS) of paid school

Dobbs/family wish for RS to ease whats on his plate now that he's in the meat/potatoes of a difficult academic path

etc etc etc

You could see the staff fully intended to RS him even back in the Spring. He didn't get a single drive with the 1s (all other QBs did) and honestly Worley wasn't awful early in the season.

60% comp, 6.35ypc, 9TD/3INT. The RZ INT against OU isn't really on him. He looked great against UGA before and even after his injury.

He just nose-dived in his next 2 SEC games. So why rush a guy that may be getting a RS as part of a bargain to even get him to sign at UT before the Ole Miss nose-dive?

My point is, you never know what is said and promised by a coaching staff to get a kid to sign. For all we know Dobbs was promised a RS and would transfer if he didn't get one unless it was absolutely necessary (which both RS burns have been).

Not that I put a lot of stock in reporters but even watching the practice videos in the Fall, it was obvious Dobbs wasn't focused. He was missing easy throws pretty consistently. Watch the simple throws. He was missing 10 yard outs and was air-mailing any deep throw I saw him try to make.

While I definitely question the coaching ability of Bajakian there is no denying Butch's recruiting prowess. We don't know what kind of promises he's making these kids and it's glaringly obvious education is important to Dobbs so that could be an easy in for a recruiting staff that is recruiting Dobbs in a very compressed timeframe.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

He can get an RA or TAship for grad school if he has any success in his current program. He just needs to communicate with allied faculty.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Hard to buy this family wanting a redshirt stuff. You are in scholarship to play football. And how the hell would we know about that? Sounds like Internet speculation that has somehow gotten traction as being a legitimate scenario.