When politicians say "create jobs"

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Jan 13, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

What percentage of them do you actually think their legislation will actually "create jobs" versus how many say it just to sound good politically?

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Tough question, imo.

I will say that I personally do not buy that tax breaks automatically equal job creation. It is a well spun myth, imo. Just working off what I see on that. I know there were other factors going down, but taxes have been lower for a decade now, and we have had net job losses over that time. I have said many times on toos that if tax breaks were tied to certain conditions in relation to domestic job creation one could definitively say that cuts created the jobs. I do not believe that off the top no strings attached breaks create jobs. In the recent past it has created hoarding of cash for lack of a better term. I would be in favor of larger tax cuts than currently proposed politicians if they were tied to decent wage domestic jobs. I do not favor tax cuts with only the hope that businesses do the right thing and create jobs.

I will probably see much disagreement with my position, but I'm used to it. Lol. I feel that the perception of what politicians may or may not do rather than what they actually do has as much effect as some actual legislation. This includes non political aspect speculated events as well. Speculation rather than what actually happens seems to be driving the market more as of late. As always, this is just the world according to me

3. CardinalVol

I think tax breaks help, but IMO right now I think what would help more than anything is stability and an idea of what is going to happen. Lots of cash on the sidelines and the biggest reason I hear that is stays there is because no investor has a clue of what is going to happen.

At the end of the day, I don't think "job creation" legislation helps at all. It sounds good, but more times than not I can't help but wonder if it's just a phrase that's part of our political lexicon that really has no value to the people saying it.

4. JayVols

I agree. The political infighting between the parties have fueled the instability, imo. Politicians have no issues stretching the truth for political gain.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I don't believe anything a politician says

6. JayVols

You are more than justified to feel that way.

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

I would also say that instability is as big of a problem towards job growth as tax rates.

8. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

There is only one reason jobs should ever be created: because there is an incentive to create the job. Throwing money at solar power -- just as one example -- for the purposes of stimulating the economy is wasteful and stupid. Who is in the position to create jobs? People who's rear-end is on the line if the creation of that job fails. Governments are generally-speaking bad at job creation because the people that create those jobs are rarely accountable if particular industries fail. France's policies from the 1960s onward were pretty poor on this front, for example. No so in an open market.

Obviously there are some "big" things a government can do that not only create jobs but perpetuate further growth: the construction of roads, schools, immunization programs, or a hydroelectric power plant. Otherwise I think it's safer if people with their "ear" to ground create jobs. JMO.

9. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Youll live a productive and happy life once you realize govt equals failure

10. CardinalVol

Don't you work for the government OE?

11. CardinalVol

Back to my original question -

How many of the actual politicians actually believe what they say when they say the government will "create jobs" through legislation? Or do you think it is all just political speak?

12. OrangeEmpire

I do, why?

The dept I work for suffers from waste and shortages.

13. OrangeEmpire

To the op I believe politicians believe they create jobs, case in point, Tom Daschle, to professionalize you must first federalize.

14. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

I think the only job they are worrying about creating is their on, so 100%.