which fanbase is in more denial....

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Dick Huffman, Jul 11, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I think the state of outright denial of some fans is a legit comparison. Facts were presented that were clear as day, and several still refused to accept that it was Pearl's fault and shifted blame everywhere else or said it wasn't a big deal.

Now, I do concede that many would (hopefully) say "yeah, this is awful, I can't believe this, wow what a lie", but let's not begin to fool ourselves by thinking that if this situation happened here involving a coach with the success as JoePa that we'd all condemn him. I say more that we care to admit would try to rationalize everything the same way some Penn St fans are.

2. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Comparing these 2 things is retarded.

3. CardinalVol

How?

Comparing the treatment of a coach with decent success over a 5 year period versus a coach with 40+ years of for the most part tremendous success?

You don't think that it's fair to say that some fans would care more about the program than the victims?

I'm not comparing the actual events because Penn State is infinitely more worse than Pearlgate. I'm just saying the fanbase would still have several that would care more about the football program being destroyed than the victims and would want to do anything and everything possible to save the program and iconic coach. You really think 100% of the Tennessee fanbase (that some have come just short of death threats to 17 year olds for choosing another school), would rally behind the victims?

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I'm saying trying to extrapolate fan reaction based on what happened here to what happened there IS retarded.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it's amazing how a % of every fanbase seems to closely associate themselves with the coaching staff. even when i've been extremely happy with coaches i've never seen them more than just employees of the team i follow and therefore expendable. i also particurally enjoy when people argue that coaches are "owed" something when most of them have multigenerational wealth because of the team that employed them. apparently making someone a multimillionare isn't payment enough for service rendered.

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I have a little bit more faith in our fanbase than to support a child rapist. Yes they supported Pearl throughout Pearl-B-Q. But he fed kids pulled pork and sweet tea, he didn't sodomize them. Slightly differing degrees of rule breaking, but that's just my opinion.

7. CardinalVol

You have more faith in our fan base than me iv.

8. InVolNerable

I'm an idealist. What can I say.

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

A jewish man serving pulled pork? That's a pretty major rule broken.

10. InVolNerable

Shit. I take back what I said. We should've known!

11. CardinalVol

Pearls best line i ever heard was at a caravan stop. It was a breakfast buffet and he said "bacon on a free buffet, the greatest Jewish dilemma."

Also, the aa determined it was a cookout, not a bbq.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Ha. My pastor told the same story about Bruce.

13. CardinalVol

Guess we were standing near each other or its his go to line. Regardless, it was funny.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Did you all know it was ok for UT to lose to Kentucky last year because upsets happen? I feel so relieved.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

If upsets happen, why haven't we had one the last 2 years?

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Because of Kiffin, I'm sure

17. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

Fulmer curse......I warned everyone

18. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

It would be easier for me to defend a murderer as a coach than Joe Paterno. Anyone that willingly lets one of his subordinates molest a child is a piece of shit. If I knew where he was buried I would dig him up and kick him in the nuts, or at least what's left of them.

19. homefry20

homefry20 New Member

His best line ever was the "we have weapons" during the press conference about four players being arrested for illegal weapons. Hands down the funniest shit I've ever watched on live tv in sports.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I remember shaking my head in disbelief when he used that phrase at THAT press conference.

But then, we gunned down Kansas in a blaze of glory so I didn't give it much thought for long.