Which possibility would be the most likely to lead to a UT victory? (anonymous poll)

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by IP, Oct 19, 2023.

?

Which possibility would be the most likely to lead to a UT victory?

Poll closed Oct 21, 2023.
  1. Milton plays all meaningful minutes

23 vote(s)
    53.5%
  2. Milton is benched before the end of the game

1 vote(s)
    2.3%
  3. Milton is injured and replaced

7 vote(s)
    16.3%
  4. Offensive strategy has single digit pass attempts, with many QB runs and wildcat snaps

12 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

Milton was 20/34… we scored 10 points outside of garbage time. 287 yards sounds ok but when you’re getting 5 yard delay of games and burning all your timeouts in the first and third quarters it doesn’t make up for anything.

justingroves likes this.
  2. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

yeah I got the numbers crossed but watched and rewatched that game and though we all know Milton issues, coaching and prep was the main issue. Burning TOs is on the qb at times but when the huddle is looking at the sideline till 10 seconds on the play clock it’s not on the qb.
    If you recall we also had some crazy penalties which killed momentum.

3. Volsdude

Not fun fact: Joe Milton QBR this season: 56.4

JGs 3 seasons: 68.0, 66.9 (ni.ce), 54.3

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Joe can't run this offense efficiently, starting with getting the play call in and getting everyone in place. People didn't have to look last year because Hooker was in command. Joe isn't, he's just there

VanJake and Volsdude like this.
  5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He was pretty good at VT

Volsdude likes this.
  6. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I think that the first couple of games they were running it out and seeing if Milton had actually grown into an elite QB. He hadn't. He still has the same warts as he ever did. They needed to make an adjustment. Last years offense had Hendon's lightning fast decision making, Jalin Hyatt blowing past everybody whether he eventually caught the ball in front or behind them, a swiss army knife in Princeton Fant. and a battering ram in Bru. We now have none of those flavors, but what we do have is two versatile TEs, one of whom is very dependable(Warren). We have a three headed monster at RB, and I still feel like once they figure out a role for Cam Seldon, he could be a weapon in there as well. And at wide receiver we have exactly one playmaker in Squirrel White, Keyton has been inconsistent this year when he was MONEY last year. No Bru, young guys still aren't there yet, and Donte Thornton remains just an unopened box of potential. Milton has gotten a lot of blame but this season has been plagued with a bunch of drops. Even still, with the pieces that we have, we needed to be transitioning into a more complimentary role. Would like to see more 12 personnel, and motion. McCallan Castles isn't Princeton Fant or even close but I think he's the guy that needs to move around a bunch. Lead blocking, try to isolate him on a LB, etc. This passing offense doesn't have to be last years to make this team lethal. If we can simply protect and Joe can deliver in the mid range and keep the linebackers and safeties off balance, then our run game continues to eat and with our defense playing incredibly well, we look like a contender. I really feel like the coaches spent the first couple of weeks trying to figure out what they really had, and now they are trying to figure out what they are gonna do with the ingredients they have. I feel like they're figuring it out. Joe just had a stinker against A&M. His decision making was poor. I kinda wish they'd design some runs for him early on. Let him get some contact in. It could slow down his brain and stop him overthinking. Justin Worley always seemed to play more confident once he got a run or two in. Maybe Milton is the same.

Memtownvol likes this.
  7. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

His spring game really wasn't bad at all, he was the one getting most of the first team defense and he couldn't really show off his running ability in a spring game.

8. Ssmiff

true but it’s not always on him when the playcall comes in late, which has happened quite a bit.

9. Ssmiff

9/5 TD/int with 1300 yards his last year at VT. That’s about where Joe is now except 10/4.

10. Ssmiff

I remember he threw 2 pick 6’s.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

We have a way of revising history to make things "make sense." For Hooker to clearly be the better quarterback but it have not been clearly evident before he came in for Milton is something our brains would rather not have to deal with. So we now pretend like it was obvious Hooker was always better and Heupel just messed up.

You see this with all kinds of things.

12. Ssmiff

Hooker also came to play for Pruitt. Story on him is he was as robotic as it gets and not a strong practice player early on, mainly overthinking. Then coaches watched him play intramural hoops and he looked like a different person. This lead to many talks and focus on mental aspect of playing loose like he did on the court.
    Joe isn’t him obviously..

13. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

That's just it though. It wasn't obvious until you put him into the games and gave him enough snaps to make it obvious. Nico needs the same thing. It will be obvious.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  14. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Well you remembered wrong, because he threw one, and had two TDs against the 1s that day

15. Volsdude

We have a way of revising history to make things “make sense”

16. Ssmiff

I have a pretty good photographic memory and def recall 2 pick 6s. I’m sure there are spring notes from that year somewhere

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Volsdude likes this.
  18. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I grew up in the "Cloud of dust" days and tie football games. I'll take an ugly win over a loss with a prolific offense any day. The "win" feeling afterwards is so much better (for me).

I am at peace when Vols are debating the shortcomings of a "win". Losing is a different matter.

In my 60 active years of listening/watching the Vols, the fan drama and arguing over who "should" be QB has not changed.

Carry on.

19. Ssmiff

20. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I went back and looked at the highlights. The knock on him from the fanbase is that he was dinking and dunking while the others were hitting bombs. But if you pay attention, the other guys slowed down when they played the ones, I think Maurer was the only other one to score vs the ones.