POLITICS Who benefits from a ban on abortion?

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by chef65, Dec 2, 2021.

1. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

I think you'll find that you have made it black and white, and that is why there is an issue. Setting a time line, a time frame, a limited number of conditions, or any other number of FIXED and NOT MOVABLE situations is making it black and white, no matter whether there are 10 situations, 100 situations or 1,000,000 unique situations--a finite set of situations is a black and white stance.

2. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

To answer the question in the thread title, conservative politicians, but particularly white evangelical male politicians.

chef65 likes this.
  3. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Sticky subject for sure. I all know is that I'm 49 and when my Son was born(2003) I cried like a baby and can't imagine not having him or my daughter in my life for one second. This is why it's hard from a personal perspective for me to imagine not believing in life. That's my just opinion and belief and I'll never force it on anybody.

justingroves likes this.
  4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's a risk you take for fun. If I had knocked a girl up, I would take care of mother and child. I'm also a product of teenage pregnancy so maybe I had a different perspective than most when I was a wild ass teenager

SetVol13 likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am too. Like I said, I just think life is more complicated than a monolithic law governing a person's bodily autonomy is capable of justly navigating.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's why I don't really want my personal belief to be a law. There's grey area there.

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

That doesn't make much sense. Do you know those people would get abortions? Maybe they were using birth control. How do you know they wouldn't have the child?
    Hypocrisy would be someone who had an abortion preaching against it

8. fl0at_

And this is the way it should be. There isn't enough consensus or a valid argument that works for one side or the other, so let it be between the personal moralities of the individual and their physician.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Yeah that's not really accurate and again why I won't get into it. I'm not for or against, which would be black and white

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

And I don't know statistically how many just use it for "birth control". I don't think it's that much.

My wife had a miscarriage, I can't remember the exact time frame but there wasn't a heartbeat and yeah that sucked.

Anyways, when we went back for the procedure, nurse asks another one "is this an abortion or miscarriage?"

See, if abortions are illegal, you run the risk of killing mothers that miscarry

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is going to happen a lot.

12. fl0at_

Things that are clearly defined are "black and white," because you clearly differentiate them.

If someone takes the stance that nobody can have an abortion in the second trimester, or nobody can have an abortion in the third trimester, or even, nobody can use them as birth control... these are easily defined positions, that are clearly distinguishable from others, and thus, black and white.

13. chef65

chef65 Contributor

Just imagine yourself a woman (should be easy enough to do). Maybe you believed sex to be shameful and immoral until college when you finally threw off the chains of orthodoxy and accepted your humanity. Turns out sex is great. However, you were never properly educated about sex and have a kid who ruins your life.

An abortion at any point in that pregnancy would have been a boon for the mother, the planet, and most likely the child given the realities of the US adoption and foster care system.

14. peelwonder

peelwonder Member

Why did you start this thread? Are you looking for arguments or just trying to create a space for myopic viewpoints?

15. chef65

chef65 Contributor

I don’t think you people properly appreciate what it would be like to inhabit the body of a woman and be driven by such a hard biological clock. To really consider safety and all aspects of a mate other than just appearance. To have just as much desire for sex as men but be shamed for it. To know you only have a few shots at immortality at best.

16. chef65

chef65 Contributor

yes

17. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Why is it the kid who ruined your life? Was the sex consensual? Seems like a deflection.

The idea of an abortion ever being a boon for a child is odd to me. Difficult circumstances can be overcome, but if you’re never given the chance to live, it’s always an L.

You’ve mentioned the planet a couple times now. The US is not reproducing at a rate that is super harmful to the planet. If anything, we should be having more kids.

18. chef65

chef65 Contributor

One kid born here does more damage than three born in Madagascar. I’m being conservative with that.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Seems like you're looking at it in a very simplistic way.

20. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

On a per capita basis, we're easily one of the most wasteful societies that's ever existed. It sounds like you're the one being simplistic in saying we should reproduce more.

chef65 likes this.