Who knows about drones?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by cotton, Sep 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I'm actually looking for a gift, and I know very little about them. Will be used for looking at farmland, spying on deer and turkeys, and general playing around. It's for someone who is tech savvy but not an IT nerd. A quick peek on inter webs led me to

Parot Beebop http://gizmodo.com/parrot-bebop-drone-and-skycontroller-review-looks-aren-1700015942

or DJI Phantom http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dji-phantom-3-standard-quadcopter-white/4406800.p?id=1219743453736
    which seems to come in a variety of flavors that I know nothing about.

Any advice? What other info do I need to make an informed choice?

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Check with local game enforcement: can be considered harassing the wildlife, depending on state.

I know that isn't an answer, but may save you some research.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I have the phantom and it's easy to use.

4. cotton

Can I ask which model?

There seems to be a 2, 3, and 4 in standard and professional styles.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

3 standard. It takes a pretty high quality picture. I'm not tech savvy at all it's simple and easy to use. You get around 20 to 25 minutes of battery life

6. cotton

Thanks. Ordered a bebop today based on a coin flip.

7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Hope you enjoy it. It's a really fun way to move cattle.

8. fl0at_

I skimmed the write up you posted on the Bebop, and it basically says its a pain in the ass to fly, and that it shouldn't be bought.

Two glaring quotes are:

and

Some user comments seem to be contrary to that, though, and say the app does suck, but it isn't too terribly difficult to fly.

9. cotton

What I saw in a couple of reviews was that control was fairly easy from a tablet, it had a return to start function, and the built in camera was marginally easier than attaching a gopro.

Besides, it's a gift. I'll post if I get any information past that.

10. cotton

My guess is that it will be used to scout and photo turkeys and deer preseason.

11. fl0at_

Return to start would probably be enough for me. That seems handy. I'd probably never get it off the ground, so in the end, it wouldn't matter. But if I did, I'd want it to come home, after I lost it.