"Why American Healthcare is so Pricey"

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Aug 8, 2013.

1. farmersdaughter

farmersdaughter Active Member

If we are required to carry it, then they should be required to at least pay half

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I never did either. Until I needed them to pay for something.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

2 births, being mom's POA and dealing with them after her wreck and hospital/nursing home/transitional care stay, and having my kid's head cut open, and no major issues to date.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Decrease barriers to entry. Econ 101

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

1. I think industries of all ilks suffer collapses. Once they're big enough to specifically regulate, the regulation never leaves. Deregulation is a myth. The deregulation of banks is as bad of a misnomer as humanly possible. Deregulation of airlines simply halted price fixing but maintained an enormous regulatory spot.

Generally speaking, the regulators are never voluntarily going to go away and are almost always industry insiders. Said industry, by nature of its maturity, is typically very bureaucratic, fixed in place and wants the gov't to help prevent competition so it can pay for its past sins. We can talk this a while and I'd love to. I'll PM over my number to finish the rest.4

The last comment is astonishing to me in that you're willing to lump corporations into a category but view government as a reasonable alternative. The reason I find this view ludicrous is that fact that only one of the two has near infinite power and it isn't the corporations. The corps will eventually get pounded by the markets. The gov't won't.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  6. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

You need a better govt job.

My kids birth cost me zero and we got a $400 breast pump paid in full as well.

We are hiring, :)

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

that would be a start.

Fortunately, Obamacare is bringing together a lot of really bright people to help figure out how to make medical care about provider - patient relationships, with a focus on QoL, rather than business models for 217k cottage industries.

8. JayVols

I'm not married to govt being the watchdog. I just don't see anyone else that has the teeth needed to do the job. I'm open to alternatives as I am not a believer that the govt is anywhere remotely close to perfect.

9. JayVols

The industry itself created many of these barriers. I'm no fan of Obamacare, but it's not a total stinker. I like the pre-existing conditions clause & the no lifrtime maximum clause. Both of these were barriers to healthcare created by the industry you say that would disappear without govt.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

and I have no problem with gov't pooling for all specialty cases, but gov't administration would make it a disaster.

Obamacare is an utter piece of garbage. It was absolutely written by the foxes. I have spent a ridiculous amount of time, of late, trying to navigate the system. It can't be done.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I actually have a health insurance license (which honestly i barely use). and I can tell you that California, in particular, is such a pain in the ass to deal with that many carriers have left. The best stuff I can offer is for out of state people. If people wanted no limit options them they would select the plan with that type of option. That's what I did when I was an intern out of college without insurance.

12. JayVols

I agree that it's just a subsidy for the insurance industry.