Why did Jerry Green resign as HC?

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by InVolNerable, Dec 23, 2012.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

So I've never been too deeply invested in UT basketball, or basketball in general, but I was perusing through the history and noticed a great record from Jerry Green sandwiched between two mediocre at best coaches. I then found this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/03/21/s...-22-11-season-resigns-as-tennessee-coach.html
    in which he states:
    What's the deal with this? Was he forced out? Just curious if anyone knew anything about it.

2. murrayCod

murrayCod Member

IIRC he had a falling out with the AD...?

3. murrayCod

murrayCod Member

I remember him telling fans that he didn't care if they stayed home

I'm paraphrasing, but I think that was the gist

4. jlovevols

jlovevols New Member

He was forced out. A lot of wins in his 4 seasons, but many thought that he had no control over his players. The team had a top 5 ranking midway through the 2000-01 season and then the wheels fell off and we barely made the tourney as an at large team.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

He got fired because he was running out of O'Neill's recruits, had no control over his players, created zero mental toughness within his team and was recruiting us into Conference USA status. Nothing was worse than UNC coach Bill Guthridge telling his team not to worry about falling behind UT in the 2000 Sweet 16 because "they'll talk a lot, but, in the end, they'll fall apart" and it played out exactly like that. Uncle Jed telling fans to go to KMart and not selling popcorn was the yellow ribbon on the package.

6. InVolNerable

Thanks. It just seemed weird to have a 70%-win coach stuck between a 40% and a 50% coach.

7. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Watching jerry green's teams was more difficult than the two sub-40 pt efforts we managed this year. As noted, JG rode the string of recruits that KO got going and had some success with unbelievably talented teams.

8. InVolNerable

Could Kevin O'Neil just not coach then? He was 36-43 at UT.

9. Unimane

He was cleaning up the extraordinary messes left by a nicer version of [ddiapos] and bolted before enjoying the fruits of his labor.

10. InVolNerable

That makes sense. Like I said, my knowledge of UT basketball is limited.

11. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That's about the long and short of it.

12. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Legend has it that he didn't even realize Brendan Haywood had fouled out of that fateful 2000 game against UNC.

13. Unimane

True. He also did not allow his assistants to say anything negative or critical of players, either.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Showing up half lit to the aau tournament the day he offered ikeakor is a good second too.

Or saying the wrong school when he was hired.

15. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Legend? He admitted it in the postgame press conference.

16. hatvol96

If you ever doubt Doug Dickey was intentionally sabotaging UT basketball, remember that he hired Jerry Green instead of Bill Self.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Where does this sound familiar to a situation today?

18. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Aw come on, it sounded so much more dramatic my way.

19. hatvol96

True, but I never pass on an opportunity to expound on the enormity of Green's stupidity.

20. RoadTrip

RoadTrip New Member

One of the reasons of my departure from donorship of UT athletics in the 90s. After sitting faithfully through the Wade Houston years into the rebuild of O'Neil. He then undermined the BB program when an obvious future legend wanted the job. The final straw for me was raising the level of donorship for the seats I had in Sec B in football about that same time. Had a conversation with them and some heated written exchanges regarding his job performance. Wasn't invited to his retirement party.