Why We Didn't Kick the FG

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

We didn't kick the FG, and Kamara just faded out of bounds two yards short, because both he and Jones mistakenly believed that it was only 3rd down, and not 4th.

TIFWIW.

2. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

How would anyone know that? Was someone really dumb enough to admit it?

3. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

You can tell by Kamara's reaction that he realized he had ****ed up as soon as he ran out of bounds. As for Butch, I wouldn't be surprised if he thought we were on defense.

4. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

Because the [dadgum] coaches were too stupid to have situational awareness. By not kicking, you give yourself 0% chance to win.

This season solidifed that the coaches definitely are not championship calibur. And hell f'n no, champions of life does not count for a damn thing. I am f'n tired of us looking like damn Indiana football.

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Where did that come from? Not saying it isn't true.

6. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Exactly right about Kamara.

7. midtownvol83

midtownvol83 Active Member

Butch knew we would probably **** up any potential 2 point conversion so he wanted 2 TDs.

8. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

Deja vu...

14 men on the field...

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Unsourced. Best to treat is as a baseless rumor, without any truth.

10. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

He had several coaches call him and tell him he did the right thing. One of them was even Derek Mason!

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Saban, Muschamp, Smart and McElwain all thought it was a great call, just poor execution by the players.

12. Beechervol

Chart said kick the EP when your down 2.

13. Beechervol

It would not shock me in any way if that was 100% fact.

14. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Butch Jones is a bad football coach, but this is silly. It's not like 4th and 4 is some Herculean task--or even much more difficult than the two-point conversion that your force yourself to make merely to reach overtime if you kick the field goal.

15. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

I disagree. You need 2 scores, not 2 TDs. With the time that was left in the game, being in FG range on 4th and 4, you take the 3 points and give yourself an opportunity to get the onside kick and know what you have to have to tie. Given our track record on 3rd downs all season, throwing behind the line to gain is not a favorable percentage of success on 4th down.

16. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Even if you don't get the onside you still have three time outs to get the ball back. It was handled pretty poorly.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Gotta go ahead and kick it. You need it. Plus, how much more time do you bleed trying to get the TD?

18. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

I didn't watch that garbage game, but this sounds like pretty standard, pretty accurate football wisdom to me.

Unless you think it's 3rd down.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I just can't believe that there wasn't 1 person on the offense that didn't realize it was 4th down and say, "hey guys, it's 4th down!"

20. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Not so silly when we throw 2-3 yards (or more) behind the sticks at a better than 75% rate.