Will Maymon be able to come back this year?

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by reese_hallvol, Dec 10, 2012.

1. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I would have assumed not, but I couldn't tell from your post. You probably already mentioned this somewhere, but any idea how our season plays out if he's gone the whole year?

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

They'll be a bubble team. The weakness of the SEC will help their cause.

3. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Just all around horrid looking play hasn't helped in anyway. Horrendous perimeter play.

4. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Just all around horrid looking play hasn't helped in anyway. Horrendous perimeter play. We're now Memphis outside the paint.

5. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

He does not handle double teams well at all. He has trouble identifying the open man, and he isn't strong with the ball in those situations. Combine that with his being a little undersized while not being overly athletic, and you have someone who's not a 1st rounder.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Agreed. It's just been pathetic. And, at this point, there's nothing magical that Coach Martin's going to draw up. It comes down to hitting uncontested shots. Until then, opposing teams will continue to just pack the paint, double Stokes, and watch us chip the paint off the rim.

7. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't agree with the conclusion. He has a body ad enough athleticism to dominate, but he has to learn to use it. If he isn't going to muscle people, he isn't anything but a small forward, and his skills aren't suited to that role at all.

8. hatvol96

He can physically dominate at the college level. He'll not do that as a professional.

9. smokedog

smokedog New Member

not officially

10. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

There was some speculation he'd grow a couple more inches at one point wasn't there? That would no doubt help him at the next level. Not very many guys have been able to bull around in the paint at 6'8".

11. hatvol96

UT compliance confirmed to Brendan Quinn today that Maymon is eligible for a redshirt and would not require a special waiver.

12. PoochPunt3rdDown

PoochPunt3rdDown Troll Guru

I think we have our definitive answer. Just makes more sense for player and team.

13. hatvol96

If he's going to be ready to go by Memphis, which seems highly unlikely, you play him and see what the season brings. If he's going to out any longer than that, redshirt him.

14. netnvol

netnvol Member

NBA benches are full of guys who were supposed to be stars but never took the time to learn the nuances of higher level basketball. When everyone around you is a world-class athlete, that shit gets exposed fast.

15. hatvol96

He has to develop range out to 15 feet. Otherwise, his only chance of making it is as a Reggie Evans clone.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And there's the problem. A guy that can't make it outside 6 feet has to be a monster at the NBA level to be solid.

17. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

That's about the timeline I've heard.

I'd add that the words, "knee is just not progressing" were added, so it doesn't look good for this season.

18. hatvol96

Which makes me nervous as to whether a redshirt really does any good.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Weird story today from Quinn with Maymon's father saying his knee is fine, and he's just conditioning at this point.

20. possumslayer

possumslayer Roadkill Guru

this is good,,maybe he'll be back soon?