Will you let your son play football?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by volfanjo, Oct 22, 2013.

1. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I didn't see that but I've seen and been involved in similar things. In the youth league we are in, there isn't much disparity in raw talent but the coaching disparity between teams is horrific. We just played a team Saturday who should have curb stomped us with all the talent they had at every position but they were consistently lined up in weird defensive fronts and we just started running a strictly check with me offense from the LOS and beat them 56-0.

I don't see it as bullying. It's a competitive sport. If I've got kids running the ball in the 3rd qtr who've never even held a football before and you still can't stop it, I'm not sure what you do. I guess you could take a damn knee every play.

2. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

At that age they are not keeping score and every child plays equally. They are merely running around having fun. It is an introduction to the sport at its most elementary level. It teaches structure and playing alongside with other children.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think the over-emphasis on concussions is ridiculous. The problem is not getting an overt concussion, but the multiple head blows, play after play. This is why linemen probably suffer the most from it, as while they do not suffer the high-speed impacts that cause concussions, they get hit in the head. Every play. Practice. Games. Every day, every play.

Same as a boxer.

4. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I had a grade three concussion my JR year, and couldn't drive for over a month. I would still let my children play football. I think a lot of the concussion stuff is over blown, and likely a result from multiple years of drug use, and being depressed that your career and life style is now over at midlife.

A lot of the issues arise from not wrapping on tackles and improper blocking.

5. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

This is correct. My son being a O/D lineman, I've thought a lot about this. I don't how much research has been done on the cumulative effects for lineman. Munchak and Matthews and Schlereth seem to be ok so who knows.

6. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

Linemen who get hit in the head every play shouldn't be allowed on the field. Properly coached linemen will utilize their hands and forearms for a majority of the high impact contact.

7. nashvillevol

nashvillevol New Member

I would say that linebackers probably see the most head contact taking on blocks 5 - 7 yards up field.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Very much with Lex, however. Youth sports are beginning far too soon. Does more harm than good.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I can agree with this, as well as your LB comment below. But I do believe it is the slow hits, over and over, that cause far more damage than the hits where you see the guy laying on his back, arms stiff sticking straight out (and why does this happen, anyone know?) and staring into space.

10. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

I like the idea of flag football up until 9 or 10.

Also, starting any sport at 3-4 just seems silly to me.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

The only thing I would recommend that soon is gymnastics. The flexibility they learn and develop that young can translate very well when they get older.

12. JZ1124

JZ1124 Active Member

yes, yes and yes. I didn't start playing until 7th grade and was starting varsity in 9th grade at 5'9 145 lbs and def got lit up a few times but only serious issue is my shoulder which I'm putting off having surgery on as long as I can.
    Wouldn't let my son play tackle until 6th or 7th grade, there is really no point before then. I'm a BB coach so will push for BB though.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

This is just flat out untrue.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I believe that they play a role, and I take the issue seriously but I don't think its the whole picture.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

In terms of the suicides, I could see that. In terms of the brain damage and increased risk of depression, there is pretty conclusive medical science on the subject.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm talking about suicides.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

nfl players on average live longer than the average american male. you do wonder if this is somewhat a lyle alzado "steroids caused my cancer" situation. i'm sure all the hits don't help the brain btw, but just how dangerous is football really? we don't know.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

In other words did football make a problem that someone already had become worse or was football the primary cause?

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yes, yes, and yes. However, I'm not letting him play tackle until he's 8 or 9.