Will you let your son play football?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by volfanjo, Oct 22, 2013.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Yes, yes, & yes.

Football has been my life for about 31 of my 41 years. Despite no knees & back issues, I can't imagine my life without it. I wouldn't want to find out either.

2. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

I'll add that, in my case, I got more beat up and have more nagging problems as an adult that arose out of baseball than football. I doubt football helped with any of them, but it wasn't where they started.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

One caveat - I, however, will not let him play for crappy youth league coaches who don't know what they are doing at all.

4. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Never went past 8th grade, but since I moved every 3 years, I'm not sure if I would have ever had the opportunity to do so, anyway.

If my son wants to play, in, let's say, 15 years, then by all means. But I'm not going to push it on him. Or her. Pink shoes place kicker. Yea.

5. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

The only way to remedy that is to take that responsibility yourself.

6. CardinalVol

There are pretty competent coaches around here, especially where he will play if he does. I'm not overly concerned about that. Doubt I have time to coach football.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

1. Still playing.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes.

People don't understand the spike in risk that takes place when transitioning from high school to college and then the NFL. It's just common sense. The force of hits in div 1 and the NFL is obviously going to be exponentially higher because everyone is huge and everyone is fast. The risks at the high school level are not nearly as high, and that's where most people's football careers end.

8. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

It's an awfully big leap to assume that Card is competent.

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Hey-oh!

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm sure concussions don't help suicidal people, but losing the structure and family like atmosphere of a team probably do a lot more harm

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

You're going from being the center of attention your whole life to quite often nothing at that level.

It's not like the average player is known to leave the game in the best of finical positions either.

12. JayVols

I'm not so sure that at least some of the former player depression/suicides doesn't come from going from a situation of being in the spotlight to an average Joe. That's a huge adjustment for anyone to make.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Hell I had it at the college level. Can't imagine it at their level. Those guys are treated like pampered kings.

14. JayVols

I left out "depression/suicide" in my post. glad you could decipher my babbling.

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My life sucked for about a month after I I played my last high school game

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

I was in a funk.

17. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

My dad was pissed because I didn't rate a baseball scholly and refused to help with my college. I joined the Army. Talk about a funk.

18. CardinalVol

Honestly, by the end, I was so ready for it to be over I didn't care. We made the playoffs, we knew we weren't going anywhere, and I was tired of it.

19. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Yes, yes, and yes.

I played sports my entire childhood and throughout high school. Never suffered a concussion or serious injury. Granted, the sideline was a pretty safe place to be.

20. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I had one concussion from football.