Winding Down

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by kptvol, Jan 27, 2012.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Almost National Signing Day and here is the latest.

As far as guys we have committed, obviously Dalton Santos is the one to watch and he could bolt to Texas. Also McNeill has taken a few visits, but I don't think it is too big a deal.

Quinshad Davis
    Korren Kirven
    Cordarrelle Patterson
    Jacoby Briscoe
    Demetrius Wilson

These guys seem like our top remaining targets. David, Patterson, and Wilson are all receivers and I feel like we would only take one of them. Be interesting to see who it is. I think Patterson will go to UGA and we'll take whichever of the other two commits first. Chase Robison was in the mix, but Dooley wanted him to decide ASAP which he didn't like so he is staying with Texas Tech.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Kirven and Davis to finish up

3. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

Santos is a tough read....his mind will most likely change several times before he signs anything. Sadly I think we miss on him. At least it's not to another SEC school. With that said...I believe we land Kirven and Davis with a chance of Santos in the mix.

There is also probably an unknown that decommits from somewhere that signs with us....i can see several random possibilities happening. Keeping everyone committed right now seems to be our staffs biggest concern and so far they have done one hell of a job.

4. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I think some people are making too big of a deal out of Santos. Keeping McNeil is much more important and it looks like they will. I too hope we finish with Kirven and Quinshad Davis. I'd also rather have Davis over the other two receivers. The knock on him seems to be his speed but how many times have we seen great receivers that were supposedly too slow to play the position. If he can run good routes and has good hands than I think speed can be overrated at times.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Sounds like a great replacement for Arnett.

6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Where are we currently ranked? Nationally and conference?

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Good route running guys with good hands make excellent 3rd down receivers. Never discount those.

8. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

I agree. Gerald Jones moved the chains and bailed Tennessee out on 3rd down a lot. Earl Bennett at Vandy was another guy that wasn't very fast. Not saying speed is a bad thing obviously but if Davis' stock has dropped because of it than Dooley may be getting a great player if he chooses UT.

9. Sleezboe

Sleezboe New Member

a good route runner is what we could benefit more from....especially from a 3rd or 4th WR. would help us tremendously against man defense and breaking away from the bump and run on the outside.

10. USAF_Vol

USAF_Vol Super Mod / Defender of Freedom

What was the injury issue with Korven?

11. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

You want Davis if for no other reason than to re-establish your presence in South Carolina, particularly that Rock Hill--Spartanburg--Greenville corridor. Worley, Meredith, Miller and hopefully Davis are a start to that reclamation project.

12. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

People already claiming that Santos committed to Texas almost as soon as he stepped foot on campus for his visit.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

A.J. Leggett, four star DB from Florida and current Marshall commit is visiting UT right now. Might be our signing day out of left field surprise.

14. volfanjo

volfanjo Chieftain

Aren't there some serious red flags about his academic situation, though?

15. strippersblow

strippersblow New Member

That Leggett fella has a 2.2 GPA and a 22 on his ACT. I don't think that gets him in unless he can go to school at Pellissippi and play football for UT....

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Can you get a non-degree seeking status tag and still play ball? As in, enroll him, put him in remedial classes, tell him he has to maintain a 2.0 (which he would have to do anyway) and still dress him?

Or do you have to actively be degree seeking in order to be eligible?

17. strippersblow

strippersblow New Member

Hell, I'd assume a football player is to be held to the same standards as any other student, at least in theory. I'm sure they get away with shit all the time, when it comes to papers and the like, and I'm sure there are professors who give a little wink and nod treatment to players, but on paper, it seems they'd have to be the same for any admitted student...

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think if Santos leaves it is pretty unlikely we use all our scholarships, so I guess they might as well take a chance here. If he doesn't make it in it isn't like we missed out on someone else.

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Yea, that is why I asked. I had a friend who was enrolled as a non-degree seeking, at another University, and worked to pull up his numbers so he could reapply as degree seeking. I looked at UT, though, and that designation seems to be for those who already have a degree. So, disregard.

20. strippersblow

strippersblow New Member

Good point. You just changed my mind on the whole situation.

Anyone miss the days of Prop. 48?