Wireless Speaker Systems

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by kidbourbon, Jun 30, 2016.

Tags:
  1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Let's put aside the fact that I have absolutely no business at this point in the still-early phases of hanging my own shingle to drop expendable income on what can only be described as a luxury item. Let's focus instead on the fact that I've always thought wireless speakers were kind of an awesome thing to have, and that the technology on these things has improved both on the sound quality front and also the niftiness of the what-sounds-play-where-and-from-what-source front as well.

I've only had a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo for the past two or three months, and already the idea of having two additional focking cords right around my workspace is borderline offensive, and at the very least quite gauche.

I'm looking at a time in the future when I look upon speaker cords with similar disdain, and I think I like what I'm seeing. So let's get down to brass tacks. Who has already made the leap to wireless speakers and can speak intelligently on the quality of different systems?

Sonos
    Monster Soundstage
    Various Bose devices
    UE Boom
    Devialet Phantom*
    LG Musicflow
    etc. etc.

Basically, there's a focking shipload of these to choose from these days, and I'd love to hear some informed takes.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Sonos, at the moment, is the best. They work great.

Can set different rooms to listen to different music, etc. And you'll see more and more of these brands until the price is driven down into the several hundreds to do up a whole house.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If you are just setting up some music to listen to in your office, you get a wireless 5.1 surround for like nothing.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I have Bose on our deck outside and they sound absolutely amazing. There is still some wiring involved but you can connect different devices wireless which is great. If you just want it for your office get a Bose Sound link Bluetooth III. Sounds great and the battery last forever.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
  5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I've looked at both home and Bluetooth speakers pretty extensively, basically with the purpose of talking myself out of buying Sonos. I couldn't do it. I have a full 5.1 system at my house.

The Play5, to my ear, is currently the best sounding speaker on the market. That said, you can save cash and get the Bose soundlink or mini soundlink and still get a very decent product. In fact, I'd probably reccomend the Bose over the Sonos for office use, especially bc the Bose is portable.

But like was said above, 5.1 systems for your computer are super cheap.

6. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

My parents have Sonos and it is awesome.

7. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

In terms of affordability and quality, the JBL Flip 3 is my choice. I have 2 UE Booms and the fact they sync together is nice, but I'd wish I'd gone with the JBL.

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

The best thing about Sonos, while pricey, is that you can put your system together in pieces. You're not forced to buy the whole system at one time. I only bought the Playbar and the sub at the same time because I caught a deal on them, which is pretty rare. I then later added the Play1s to complete the whole system.

The worst thing, and really it's only for people looking to nitpick, is that Sonos only is wired to the TV. You can't connect a CD player or blue ray directly into so some don't consider it "true" 5.1. It's a dumb argument though as the sound is still better than most "true" 5.1s at similar prices.

9. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

float is right, Sonos is the gold standard, that's all there is to it. Once I have some cash to throw around I will have a full system

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

See my reccomendation above. You can get started on it now.

11. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Google Chromecast Audio works well at only $35 per device. You can pair multiple devices if you want the system for multiple rooms.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk