World's largest 'ship' bigger than Empire State Building l

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by OrangeEmpire, Dec 5, 2013.

1. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

2. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Do international waters have drilling rights or is it like the gold rush in the 1800's? This looks like it could potentially be a financial windfall (not that the oil companies need another financial windfall).

3. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

My white and nerdy rear end could't help but think of the German H class.

4. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Another 4 years till it activates. Ship is huge. Wonder how many wet docks could hold a ship of that size.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

By "international waters" do you mean "all the oceans"?

I have no knowledge of this whatsoever, but I'd assume the open ocean is the wild wild west. Property rights don't really apply. So, yeah, build a ship, drop the drill wherever you like. Who's gonna make you leave?

6. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Yes you captured what I meant to say ... this hints of the international race to nuclear viability in the late 30s and early 40s. I mean geez ... its a fully operational floating natural gas refinery that can traverse anywhere anytime.

7. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

If it results in me paying less at the pump,* I'm cool with it.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

There are international laws governing international waters, but they are extremely basic. Like, "refrain from dumping nuclear waste" basic.

9. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

"Well, chief said we needed a bigger boat, so that's what I got." -- Quint

10. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

Only if you run on natural gas. (Female British voice)

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

My understanding is that most deep water wells are just offshore and therefore no in international waters.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also, most nations claim mineral rights to their continental shelf, which extends hundreds of miles offshore. That was what the dust up between Denmark, Russia, the US, and Canada was about for the rights to the sea floor at and around the north pole.