Would you keep Butch if...

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Nov 6, 2015.

1. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

You knew he would win an SEC title within the next 8 years and have one national title in his tenure here? (Obviously, very unlikely)

2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Too many variables in that simple scenario.

Is the SEC title and Natty next year, then we get 10 years of shit?

3. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I'd want more SEC titles.

4. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

yes

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Are these at Tennessee?

6. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

This hypothetical is not based in reality. Indy says such hypotheticals aren't allowed.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Sure it is. Based on Butch's stellar recruiting thus far, one could assume that he might eventually recruit a team so talented that even his dumb ass can't **** it up.

8. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

There is no level of talent that Butch can win a Natty with. If Butch were the coach of the most talented team 15 years in a row he would never win it.

9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I pretty well agree with that. Unless there were some scenario where Butch got the best 20 players in the country for 6-7 years in a row, he's not winning in a NC. And that's what it takes. Some individuals at VN told Butch so.

10. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Based off the given information I would say no. One SEC and National title during his tenure would be underwhelming based on the talent he's getting...especially since his tenure in this hypo could be 40 years.

11. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Todays 5th graders are in that class, we will still be too young in 8 years.

12. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

13. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

don't be silly. We'd hire anyone for a guaranteed Natty in the next 8 years.

The fault is in the premise. There is no natty in 8 years, 12 years or forever. Dude just isn't a coach. He isn't winning a natty title. SEC title looks absurdly unlikely to me, but could get freaky year in which we win a sorry east and the west representative turns it over 5 or 6 times in a title game.

14. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

No.

Only way he wins a NC is if all other schools are ruled ineligible. And if he couldn't win the East this year, he never will.

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Seriously, the premise is silly. We would all keep a guy for a guaranteed Natty over 8 years, period. I can't imagine that there is any real debate about it.

16. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

A national title in eight years would be worthy of retaining without question, we have two in over 100 years, not counting non-recognized ones. However, one SEC title in eight years is not what I think we should accept. It would be unusual to win the NC without being competitive in the SEC for more than one year.

So to answer your question without getting into TD's word usage amount, how long before each title? If within four years - yes.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Jimbo and Chizik managed it

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

both with quality coordinators.

19. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

Spot. On.

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

We could lawyer it and say the only guarantee is an SEC title in 8 years. The national championship is just guaranteed over "his tenure here."

In which case, hell no. It could be possible to win the national title without winning the SEC title. Especially in an Alabama/LSU type situation.

But a guaranteed title in 8 years, absolutely.