Year 1 to Year 2 Jump

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by NEW COACH, Nov 12, 2018.

1. NEW COACH

NEW COACH Contributor

What realistically should we expect from Pruitt’s team in year 2? Most of the elite coaches have a big jump in success in year 2. We are looking at probably 6-6 or 7-5 in year 1. 8-4 should be the floor in year 2 right?

Every single position should be improved except for the defensive line. We lose all our starters there but hopefully these JUCO guys can plug and play.

Beat BYU and go 5-3 in the SEC. I’m thinking 9-3 is realistic.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

10 wins. Lose to Alabama/Tua and split with UGA/UF.

No one else on the schedule should be an L.

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

10-2 or he’s not championship caliber.

utvol0427 likes this.
  4. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

The schedule is there for 9-3, but the trenches worry me. Going to be seeing a lot of new faces on both sides. There are a lot of games that we could lose if they’re not up to speed quickly enough

Joseph Brant and lylsmorr like this.
  5. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

The year 2 jump is going to be harder just due to the state of the roster coming in. 9-3 or 10-2 with good injury luck and the freshman studs being ready from the jump.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The defensive jucos have to live up to their billing. If they do, Tennessee will have a fun year.

chavisut and BigOrangeBeech like this.
  7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Should be improved at QB, RB, wr, TE, OT, og, c, og, ot, lb, CB, nb, db.
    If kicking game stays same we are fine.
    DL concern obviously. Taylor, Gooden, Deandre Johnson, then i dont know what. Maurese Smith, Kingston Harris, Butler, Garland, Emerson and need Savion Williams and other juco to come in and play at goodens level immediately.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I think Harris is a full time olineman now

9. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

It really does all rest on the DL.

Of course that's considering the OL improves over the offseason and maybe some of the Freshman are ready to play right away. Wright looks like he needs a year in the weight room.

I think a guy like Carvin will improve dramatically from year 1 to 2. I dont think Ryan Johnson is terrible, but he needs to add some weight and strength to him. Richmond can head on back to Memphis.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The oline as a whole will look better with some real S&C work. If Smith can play again, Carvin and Johnson may be backups.

11. BigOrangeBeech

I may be wrong..but I think Smith is done.

He may give it one more go, but just dont think, with the family history there, that it's going to work out for him long term. Hate it for him.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I don't expect him back, but people around him are saying he's going to try

13. BigOrangeBeech

Give the medical staffs we have these days and how they monitor, he probably could and not be at a high risk. They're not gonna let him get too far without pulling the plug again. I hope it works out for him.

justingroves and NorrisAlan like this.
  14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

This is Tennessee, I can only hope we play well next year and no one from Pruitt's dream job makes him an offer he can't refuse.

lol vol likes this.
  15. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Every successful coach has flashes of brilliance in their first year. We have that with two wins over top 25 and one of those against a previously Botch-imposed sanction against an SEC West opponent.

Pruitt may or may not win big here. But with 2, potentially 3 games left, he has put this team- coming off a school history worst 4-8- with the opportunity to win 8 games.

That's a minor miracle.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Keep your pope out of this, buddy.

NYY likes this.
  17. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Pruitt now has more SEC wins without Josh Dobbs as QB than Butch did. 2.

utvol0427, NYY, IP and 3 others like this.
  18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Offense should take a step forward, but I fear DL means defense takes a step backwards. Not buying the 10 wins or bust talk.

warhammer and lol vol like this.
  19. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

[​IMG]

20. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

8-9 regular season imo