Yesterday was magic!

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Oldvol75, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

As I sit back and reflect the events of yesterday, I have began to see just how magical it truly was. As the lettermen began to gather around the Torch Bearer, I look up and see two faces coming toward me that I hadn't seen in a long time. We just stood there hugging each other. Everyone that hadn't ever meet each other before began introducing themselves to each other and starting new friendships.

When the team busses arrived, we began to line up to greet them. If I am not mistaken, I grabbed each players hand and shoulder bumped them giving them encouragement just like all the other former VOLS. Their faces where really something to see during this time, it went from shock to a look of pure fired upness! (made that word up) Almost to a man, each player would say, "Thank you sir!" to each and every one of us.

Then it was our turn to follow them. It was the first time I had ever done the VOL Walk. You guys, the fans of Tennessee are truly AWESOME! I high fived everyone that stuck their hand up and I low fived every little kid that I saw. In doing this I became overwhelmed by all the Tennessee fans. They were all telling us, "Thank you for coming back!"

Finally I got to where Jay, Hat and Volguy were. It was great seeing them there and getting to chat for a few seconds. Then I hear this voice call out my name and it was a voice I hadn't heard in a long time from a former team mate. Tried to get him to finish the walk but he wouldn't.

The game itself was great. They had us all sitting in the south end zone. The game was great. The atmosphere was awesome. The people staying in the stands not really wanting to leave. Most people think that the team came over to the band, and they did, but all of us Old Farts were sitting up there too!

As I finally walked out of the stands, I had a few tears of joy running down my face. I had sat in the stands during that last drive and kept saying, Please let something good happen and finally it did. I think that North kid will be a player! LOL.

Got back to the tailgate area and meet up with Tar Volan, his dad, Beech and his dad, Jay, Hat and Volguy. Plus a few former VOLS. Had a great time. After about an hour, my kids and their friends began to look at me like I was a giant steak. On the way back to the car, some random guy stopped me on the street and told me, Thanks for coming back. That was great.

So my hat is off to all of you that make game day so special.

Tennessee has the greatest fans in the world, even for us old guys!

A special THANK YOU to you all, you created a moment in time that I will never forget!

MWR likes this.
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I wish I could have been there.

3. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Awesome. Cold chills just reading it.

If people wonder why I get so pissed off about games, or demand excellence as much as I do. It's because of the guys like you that has built this program to what it is. You saw yesterday, we're still Tennessee.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Glad you guys had a good time. And in a game that close, who knows? The extra inspiration from the alumni might have been the difference.

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I love that you got the opportunity! At times like this I really despise living as far away as I do. Would have loved to see it and meet you.

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Awesome stuff, OV. Congratulations!

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

how's your dad?

Ov, I'm happy that you got this opportunity.

8. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Wonderful, OV.

Very deserving of all former players. Tradition!

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Wish we would do this annually.

10. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yep, C-Vol. And what I meant by "Tradition". Something tells me Davis and Jones (along w/ former Vol players and et al) will push to make it happen.

11. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

what a great day.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'm going to see Davis in a couple of weeks. I plan on telling him that it would be a great idea.

13. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

[video=youtube;st7QmyLJz4Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st7QmyLJz4Q&feature=youtu.be[/video]

14. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

That's great stuff, OV! Congrats and thanks for sharing your experience.

15. hohenfelsvol

hohenfelsvol Beer run

Full of pride reading your story OV. What a magical day topped off with an excellent effort. I have no doubt you old players played a part in driving home the message of Tennessee and team. Well done.

16. Lexvol

Lexvol Super Moderator

It has been a long time coming. I got so sick and tired of people acting like Tennessee fans and former players should be happy with "anything they get". UT is a damn top ten football program, and the fan base shouldn't have to take a back seat to anyone. It is time for us to reclaim our rightful spot.

Thanks for sharing OV. I'm very happy for you.

17. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Awesome OV. Hate i couldn't make it over after the game.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

He's doing really well. It's kind of amazing how good doctors have become at that invasive of a surgery. Thanks for asking, lyls!

19. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

[​IMG]

Look who is two people in front of me! I'm the guy with the big hand.

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

OV. You look almost normal sized in that herd.