Yet another mass shooting

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by NorrisAlan, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Don’t think the [itch bay] even went to Covenant school

2. Ssmiff

don’t think lefty groups promoting the trans day of vengeance help matters.

ole_orange likes this.
  3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Scary shit. Scary times.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

They/them has applied to the singular for at least hundreds of years. "Who was that?" "I don't know, but they left this." For example.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

That name could use some workshopping.

6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I mean in that very specific context sure. But you certainly don’t usually use plural pronouns when referring to a singular individual usually in the modern English language. How you used they in that particular sentence earlier does not flow/read well to me. “They bought 7 guns…” when referring to a singular individual buying 7 guns can be confusing on the surface without full context. What people bought 7 guns?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

The killer. They bought 7 guns. The killer bought 7 guns.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Every English teacher I had growing up has entered the conversation.

Poppa T and CardinalVol like this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

You and ye were originally plural only pronouns of thou and thee. Ever noticed how "you" can refer to one or however many people?

Pretty sure Shakespeare used a singular they. That people prefer it as their personal pronoun is new, but its use as a singular pronoun is not. "Well they are the doctor." "They are a child." "The kid told me their age." "The wallet is theirs." The lawyer can do it themselves."

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

I can absolutely throw down on this. I am old enough to have been they/theming before anyone wanted to be they/them.

11. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

“The killer bought seven guns.” Much better reading flow/overall clarity that instantly reveals both who and the number/s of people being referred to than your original sentence. Always using plural they/them pronouns for every single instance when referring to a particular individual isn’t the prettiest way of using modern English. But whatever.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

That's what they say.

13. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

A Trumpian way of Englishing. “That’s what they say. It’s just what they are saying”. Could refer to many. Or maybe just one person. But they are saying nonetheless. Modern fluid spectrum of pronoun usage be wild

14. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

You're wrong, lying, or lied to.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

About the use of a singular they/them? Lol, books exist from before 2015.

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

You are wrong, lying, or lied to, and I'm pretty sure you know what about.

17. Ssmiff

I’m gonna just keep with she if one has a vagina and he if one has franks and beans. If I make a mistake, whatever. I recently asked a non pregnant woman when she was due so I’m not worried about backlash.

18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Whoo boy, lol.

19. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

When I was in school “they” could only be used as a singular when the individual was of unknown gender.

“They broke into my home, they took everything”. If you have the person on camera, and you know it’s a male then it’s “he broke into my house, he stole everything”.

I don’t know whether it’s been made official or not now, but I think it’s pretty universally accepted that “they” is okay when referencing someone of non-binary gender.

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

2017, or over 100 years ago according to IP.