You win, 2014

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Jan 8, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

I said that tongue in cheek, but I know what you're saying. That's why I always get a written quote.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

That's weird.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I didn't hire the guy. I would never just tell a contractor to come work and then we'll talk money at the end. I was laughing at his dumb ass quote.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the difference is both times he wasn't asked he was going to charge for the add on because a) they were simple jobs and b) he had been so reasonably priced for other thing. wont make that mistake again though.

5. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That might be his business model. Under quote to get into the door, and make his money on little odd end shit.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm pretty sure it is. I made the mistake of not asking him how much because I knew it would take him such a little amount of time and he was so reasonable with the first part.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Copper or pvc?

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ooh, good point justin. Could be a matter of material

9. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Adamantium harvested from Wolverine's left femur. Seems like dros got a good deal.

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Good point. That could greatly effect the price of something simple.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

copper, but it was all of 4 inches.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He probably didn't have one, but if he had a pro press instead of soldering the copper together, the fittings run 10 to 12 bucks a piece and the copper is probably going to run a minimum charge of 10 bucks or so.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

somewhere I have the invoice. I don't recall him claiming the parts were $50 or something. as I said before he also pulled a similar thing with a leaky faucet. I think this is his MO. give a reasonable estimate for a repair and then hope he can make his real profit on any add ons.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A lot of people do that

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm far more suspicious of car mechanics who do this all the time. I took my car in for an oil change and the guy calls me and tells me I have a massive oil leak. I explained to him that my car has never lost any oil, so i'm not sure how it could be massive. he was kind of flustered after that. I didn't get it changed. drove the car for another 100K miles without changing it. never lost any oil then either.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You drove a car 100k miles without an oil change? Leak hell, you didn't have any oil.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's what I was thinking

Never buy a used car from California

18. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Took mine in for an oil change about 3 years ago and they told me the transmission fluid needed to be replaced. I had just replaced it 3 months prior (shortly after I bought it, because it hadn't been driven much in the last 5 years by the previous owner). They wanted $140 to do it. Obviously I turned them down, and no mechanic since then has mentioned anything about it.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I meant changing the pump he said was leaking.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Oh. Same thing.