Federal Government tries to block Alabama Immigration Law

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by countvolcula, Oct 10, 2011.

1. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

What do you all think of this?

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Alabama has an immigration issue?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Alabama's immigration law is pretty misguided, imo. There is legal precedent for it to be thrown out.

That being said, I am sympathetic to their general point.

4. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

you'd be surprised at the amount of mexicans running around here. when i was having my house put back together after the tornadoes, i had about 20 mexicans putting on the new roof, then some others doing floors, sheetrock, basically the whole damn house

5. fl0at_

And that was a bad thing?

My best work on my house was done by one dude that spoke no English and one guy that spoke excellent English. They had a drywall knife, a caulk gun and a screwdriver. Rebuilt half my house.

Ok, so they put up some masonite and re-caulked a water table. But damnit, I wasn't doing it.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Those bastards!

Question: How do you know they weren't legal or American?

7. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

Is this concerning the debate in general or was there a new development recently that you're asking about?

8. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

never said it was a bad thing, i was just pointing out that there are a lot of them around here

9. fl0at_

Do you think Bama necessitates such legislation, or do you think they are just being [Richards], trying to thumb their nose at the Fed?

I had no problem with Arizona, Texas or New Mexico putting up some type of protection. But friggen Alabama? Just feels like they are doing it just to piss people off, and I'm more than certain there is something they could be doing legislatively that would actually be immediately useful, and not require a long drawn out court proceeding designed to up people's ire at government. We have enough pissed off people at government, we don't need anymore incentive.

But, as a supporter of state rights, I support Alabama. I just think this is unnecessary, useless, fearmongering, pointed towards incensing the population and doing nothing more than creating a heated debate to hide the fact state government will be pushed around by the Fed, regardless of grandstanding.

In short, go do something useful. We all hate the Fed. We don't need a bill every year to perpetuate that annoyance.

10. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Most of the ones I have ever been around would tell you. At least the ones that spoke english.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, I'm sure they were illegal. But we don't really KNOW that. In any event, if the kids are in this country they are supposed to be attending public school. That's the way we have done it in this country for 100 years.

I don't know what we gain by having an uneducated underclass.

12. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

i have no problem with them doing it. i know it doesn't seem like bama would have that many mexicans, but trust me they're everywhere. just like flies on shit. in college i worked at a sporting store, and on sundays a van full(20 or so) would show up about 10 minutes before closing. we had a ton of shoes on clearance that would be on the floor in shoe boxes. they would come in and literally switch the shoes they had on for the ones in the box and walk out. this happened literally every week.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I am well aware of the vast number of undocumented immigrants in Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee. It's cheap labor going to where there is demand for cheap labor. It is ironic that it is statistically likely that a bunch of Republican small business owners are their employers.

14. fl0at_

The most ironic part of all of this is that:
    1. Republicans want to solve the illegal problem because of the cheap labor, and the fact that "others" can't get jobs. But that will effectively end the nearly indentured servitude nature of the cheap labor crisis. Illegal immigrants are making bank for their employers off their own backs and hard work. It is quasi-legal indentured servitude.

2. Liberals want to solve the illegal problem by allowing all illegals in, with full rights of citizens (more or less, let's hyperbole for a moment), thus perpetuating the labor crisis and maintaining the indentured servant status of the lower class.

So, republicans are right, for the wrong reasons and liberals are wrong, for the right reasons.

Makes me laugh. Every time.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

That is American politics in a nutshell.

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not sure the liberal motivation for giving illegals citizenship is as noble as you imply, fl0at.

17. fl0at_

Oh, I'm not saying it is noble. They are just more inclined to an open border policy, for whatever reason. The problem with open border policy is that it perpetuates cheap labor and class stratification. I'm more looking at the outcome, not necessarily the reasoning.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

World needs ditch diggers...

I'm kidding

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

They dig some of the best I've seen. Who needs a witch?

20. countvolcula

countvolcula New Member

Kind of my feeling. Strengthening their voter base is how I see it.