2022 NCAA Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by CardinalVol, Mar 17, 2022.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Let's get this thing started.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Longwood is the shortest team in the field.

3. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

But they’re girthy?

OneForVol and A-Smith like this.
  4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I may regret saying this later on, but at this point, I want Michigan. Moving through the rounds will be more enjoyable if we get to eliminate a garbage Big 10 team along the way.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, was thinking last night... How do we feel about Barnes right now before this tournament starts? Has he overachieved this season? Has he gotten more out of this team than we expected or thought possible?

I have us going all the way, so I feel like I need to have a firm grasp of how I feel about him right now so that if we end up going home early, I know how to properly react.

If we lose in the first round, it's obviously a bad deal. But what if we go down in the 2nd round? Is the season still a success, and to what degree? How far does Barnes have to advance in this tournament with this team for everyone to be able to reasonably agree that this season is a success story and he did a good job?

6. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

Sweet 16 only if the loss is to Jay Wright. If you face a Cinderella then need to make it to the elite 8.

10SEvols and IP like this.
  7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Even if it's Sister Jean? We all know that Barnes is a God fearing man.

8. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Going out in the second round will be a huge disappointment. Losing to Villanova (depending on how it goes down) in the S16 would be disappointing but not shameful

IP likes this.
  9. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Let’s go!!!

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Hell, I'm gonna root for OSU. Let's knock out 2 Big 10 teams.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I agree. Losing in general is disappointing. But if we drop a close game to Villanova in the S16, I'm not sure anybody can reasonably hold it against the guy.

12. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

anything short of the sweet 16 is a failure. The expectation should be the Elite 8. Villanova is solid, but it would seem to be a bit of a disappointment if Tennessee failed to advance past the sweet 16.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

For me, if we are going to lose to Nova, it's about how we lose to them. If it's a close game, I can live with it. If it's a replica of the November blowout, I'll take issue.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just to be sure we are on the same page, I think Indy is asking from the perspective of the start of this season. Did we expect at least an Elite 8 in November? I don't think so. I think we expected a run to the Sweet 16.

Indy likes this.
  15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I read an article last night that stated Villanova is the most likely 2 seed to go home in the second round, based on the spread they would see against Loyola in the second round. They would be the 2 seed favored by the least number of points in that round.

16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Exactly. I think it's fair to say that Barnes and this team have overachieved so far this season. Obviously our expectations are sky high now, but I don't think it's fair to penalize the guy for overachieving all season and raising our expectations.

17. KyleAlexanderfan

KyleAlexanderfan Well-Known Member

We shouldn’t lose to them. We had no business losing to them in the first place. We go to the final 4 if Kyle Alexander plays.

18. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

I have Loyola beating Nova in my bracket, before Deacon Barnes sends Sister Jean to confession.

19. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Here's the exam key, guys. You just have a few more minutes to scribble in these answers.

Attached Files:

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

LSU over Auburn is interesting.