All things NIL

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jul 20, 2023.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Figured we could use a thread on this.

Trio of bipartisan senators have released a draft version of a bill dealing with NIL. Some good (trust fund for healthcare for 2 to 4 years post playing days, can come back to school if not drafted if not signed with pro agent), mostly bad (15 member panel with subpoena power, NIL deals to be reported to schools and panel, etc.)

Again, NCAA had years to fix this problem and kept their head stuck in sand. They've got to live with consequences.

Article here -

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/nil-bi...e-richard-blumenthal-cory-booker-jerry-moran/

2. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

At some point I figure NIL will have a "salary cap" like the NFL. Or not, I'm completely ignorant to most NIL workings.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

God forbid they focus on healthcare reform, military reform, crime reform, social security reform, infrastructure, police demilitarization, etc

Memtownvol likes this.
  4. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Why isn't anyone talking about reform reform?!?

justingroves likes this.
  5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Imagine if we just all had healthcare, and you wouldn't have to worry about an athlete 2 to 4 years after playing specifically?

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Imagine if people weren't 600 pounds due to fork in hand syndrome?

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Could write in a "first 400 lbs, free, surcharge after that." Or use some other health metric to where the less healthy by lifestyle you are, the more on the hook you are.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's the biggest thing that pisses me off about universal health care, fat lazy ass holes drinking diet coke while eating two big macs and a large fry.

We all know fast food is dog shit and it isn't even cheap anymore, go to the store and buy something that isn't processed shit

Memtownvol and SetVol13 like this.
  9. Volgrad98

Volgrad98 Contributor

Absolutely.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Were I in charge, I would be willing to negotiate with you on this. You have a fair point, but I think we could find a middle path.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

73% of Americans are fat so I don’t see hitting them financially being a winning public policy in elections.

also I’m good on the public health officials being the ones deciding on what a healthy lifestyle is when they’ve vilified animal fat and created the food pyramid that lead to over consuming highly processed grains and highly processed seed oils.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

You offer a path and can give them care so long as they follow the path towards getting below the limit when it is first introduced.

13. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

That seems likely to turn into an unworkable boondoggle.

To be fair though, that's also what our current system is. To the extent there is a solution, it doesn't start with medicine in my opinion and medicine alone will never be able to fix or even seriously curtail it. There is far too much money being made pumping poison into people, charging people to protect against the risk of illness from the poison, and ultimately charging them more to treat their affliction with a solution that will also cause additional problems.

Private healthcare can work. Like almost everything else in America, it isn't broken by accident.

VOLinDAWGland and justingroves like this.
  14. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

It took an act of god to make smokers pay higher insurance rates. No way we get all the fat [uck fay]s to.

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

There's definitely a middle ground

PilotFlyingJ likes this.
  16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Boy, that sure don't sound much like freedom.

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

If they control that they control us. I hate to sound that way but it is what it is

warhammer likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

How is it less freedom than now? What is being taken away?

19. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Seems pretty obvious to me.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

???