All things NIL

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by CardinalVol, Jul 20, 2023.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Likely we have a lot of Americans now identifying as French. Thinking about being Italian for a few months myself. 6’4 dark skinned 33 yr old Italian. Or just a night may be enough.

PilotFlyingJ and Memtownvol like this.
  2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Looking at the past with rose colored glasses.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I don't think so, we went to war with the strongest military in the world, it doesn't get much tougher than that. Now we can't do shit about Global Warming, public health, etc. because its "too hard". We are so defeatist today we don't even seem to try, we quit before we can even start. If 1776 happened with today's Americans, we'd all be drinking hot tea and have terrible teeth.

justingroves likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

We were part of that strongest military in the world right before we went to war. We had home field.

5. Volsdude

Volsdude Well-Known Member

I may be way off here, but I think with the recent Roe V. Wade decision/student debt relief block you’re going to get a blue Trump soon. A drain the swamp type from the other side and it’s gonna be weird. Younger generations are seemingly becoming engaged in politics and I think inclined to shake the shit out of things. Like if Bernie were to run this time around, I think he’d get the dem nod after seeing what’s happened/hasn’t happened under Biden. Just my 0.02

6. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I do believe there’s some truth to the idea that Americans are “fat and happy” and can’t be bothered to participate the way they should in the political process.

That said, I think in general the extent to which Americans don’t care or are ignorant is overstated (emphasis on “in general” I’m not saying this is your position). Not hard to see why there’s a defeatist mentality when our government is so thoroughly captured by corporate interests. Climate change and public health are problems that can be addressed but it would require voting out all of congress and somehow wrestling power away from corporate interests and the super wealthy, and right now that does seem borderline impossible, at least in the near term.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

People would pay a little more attention to climate change if Greta and Al Gore before her weren't the faces of it

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

A whole lot of people could have kept the status quo and stayed rich and happy. Instead, they grabbed either quill pens or guns and told the greatest army in the world to [uck fay] off

9. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Nah, people have decided that doing something is inconvenient for them, so the answer is to do nothing. At the end of the day its the message people don't like. We're selfish creatures.

10. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

This is the thought that keeps popping in my head. It worries me (for my kids/grandkids).

11. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

It's a long range problem that technological advancements will solve. The world is not going up in a ball of flames anytime soon.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

It's a problem right now and we need to be solving it right now. No one is coming to save us that isn't already here, believe me.

13. VOLinDAWGland

VOLinDAWGland Contributor

14. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

The same advancements that loaded fish with mercury; forever chemicals; processed food that does no one any good; fossil fuel contamination of the environment, from oil spills to coal ash, etc.; lead and other chemicals in our water supply; "alternate facts" pushed, and embraced, by this same technologically advanced society on social media?

As I approach my end-of-life, anytime, no matter how far off, is too soon.

If their are things we can do, no matter how incovenient, that might help extend the future of "anytime soon", why not try?

Just the mho ramblings of an old man.

15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Need to heavily invest in nuclear.

solar makes sense in some parts of the country but not everywhere.

need to get away from industrial farming and go to rotating ruminant animals on all farmland and no till farming.

Just the farming change alone would sequester the carbon in the atmosphere that we’ve added since Industrial Revolution.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Pigs could probably live on the surface of the sun, there's not a lot of maintenance with them

17. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

The people who did all this are the people who will be “fixing” it

justingroves likes this.
  18. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Any politician who votes for any of this NIL regulation garbage will not be getting my support next cycle.

zehr27 likes this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know how you can type with your whole ass like that. It is a weird trick.

The coal ash people are pushing for renewables and electrification, very cool. Lots of sources, definitely. Totally not just arm chair meaningless drivel.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

pretty sure the TVA is doing all of that.

justingroves likes this.