Atlanta Braves Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by SetVol13, Nov 1, 2011.

1. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Whatever ... you Cardinals sold your soul to the devil years ago. There's a reckoning coming ... a RECKONING!

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I wish I could say I was surprised. Anyone know if these guys the Braves got for Upton are or could be worth a damn?

3. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Minor league stats were decent but not gawdy. The best one is supposed too be the pitcher, but he is laready having elbow problems at age 20. Supposed to sit out next year. Not exactly an overwhelming haul.

4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Don't really know anything about them but if we were going to never sign Jupton after next year anyway, at least we aren't losing him for free. Seems the main priority now is 2017 with the new ballpark. Hopefully we don't suck next year.

5. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Listening to Dukes and Bell slam Atlanta's front office today was great. Mitch Evans compared trading Justin Upton and keeping BJ to trading Beyoncé and keeping Solange.

6. GahLee

Tommy John surgery already. The SS they got hit .113 in 26 games last year. There is a kid that did well in A ball, hitting over .320 with 40 stolen based but it's A ball.

Signing Nick Markakis is much worse than what they got for Upton. Dude got 45 million and then had fusion neck surgery and he peaked about 6 years ago but hey, he's from Woodstock so he's got that going for him.

7. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

I understand what they are saying, but how do you trade someone with no value? The Braves would probably have to pay all of BJ's salary and give up a decent prospect to package him in a trade.

8. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Turn on CPU trade veto override. Simple.

Maybe the new hitting coach will help BJ reach the 25th percentile at least. I doubt it, but this year's team isn't going anywhere so it doesn't hurt to try.

9. GahLee

They're not going to get anyone to take that albatross off their hands, they would have to go the Uggla route and pay him not to play.

10. Got heem

Got heem New Member

sounds like people who have no idea what they are talking about. It's pretty clear they are rebuilding the organization. they obviously had no plans of signing Upton, so they might as well get some value for him now. and who is going to take BJ right now and what is the point of trading him at his all time low? their best hope is that BJ starts off decently and can then get some value in return. if he doesnt start well, then nothing is lost as they are not expecting him to do much.

11. GahLee

BJ is what he is, even if he starts decent, teams aren't going to believe he's all of a sudden not a .200 hitter. Those guys were just making fun of the situation. They're basically saying that Atlanta has punted the next two seasons.

12. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Gattis to the Astros for 3 prospects - right-hander Mike Foltynewicz, third baseman Rio Ruiz and right-hander Andrew Thurman.

13. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

14. SetVol13

SetVol13 Contributor

Sounds great to me. If you are going to rebuild, don't half ass it. Go all the way.

15. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Totally agree. love this trade.

16. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Dammit. Good trade or not I loved Gattis.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Foltynewicz has a tremendous, tremendous arm.

18. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Kimbrel to the Padres for a mulligan on BJ Upton...

...and some other nice pieces. But that's the primary.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It could be a smart trade, Kimbrel has been used a lot, his arm may be out of throws

20. The Braves had basically unloaded anything resembling offense two months ago, and there was no sense in keeping a closer of Kimbrel's level/pay grade on a team that was always going to take a serious run at 100 losses.